Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamjackdrew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
Hi all

Long time viewer - new user, so HI ALL!! :)

Quick question for the clever people amongst you:

My Girlfriend has an early 2008 MacBook Pro. It has "suddenly" died. When she pushes the power button, the fans spark to life, the hard-drive whirs etc. However, the "sleep" light stays on solid and doesn't blink. Screen stays blank and no BONG to be heard.

I have tried to talk her through re-seating the RAM, which she is not comfortable doing. She has taken it to the Apple Reseller in Bratislava (I'm in UK, she's in Slovakia until October...but that's another story!) and he says that it's not the RAM but the Motherboard (?, I didn't think Apple used the word Motherboard!). Anyway, he's now had it for two days, and is saying basically that it's kaput and she should by a new one, from them!

My questions are:

Are there any lists of Mac POST light codes for the MacBook Pro?
Do you think that this is a RAM problem? She tells me her sister used the machine before it stopped working - and knowing her sister, it got dropped / slammed etc.
Is there anything else that it can be other than the LogicBoard etc?

Sorry for the length of the post.

Adam

P.S. I'm about to post in the Newbie section - if I can find it! LOL

Pax

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2003
Sounds exactly like this problem....
http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2377
Quite common I believe, but I'm not the expert.
If it is this problem she's got an extended warranty, so at least it won't cost money. A hassle though.

If it was a RAM problem the Mac makes a secret blinking code with the sleep light....
"Flashing power LED once per second - bad RAM, no RAM
OR
Three flashes, a pause, and three more flashes (occurs continuously) - marginal RAM"
(NB this is not verbatim from Apple, you'd need to Google to confirm this)

benlee

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
I had a bad RAM stick and it didn't have any sleep light indication of such. Same problem as you have above. It could be the RAM.

A physical drop would likely show some exterior damage if it damaged the insides, IMO.

I would get a second opinion before buying a new one.

adamjackdrew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
Excellent - thank you so much!

I've passed that on to her for her to look at and pass to the "techie" that they have over there.

Personally, I've had no issues whatsoever with my iMac - which is on all night every night, all weekend etc. and has been since October 2007! Only when this thing gives up (tempting fate now) will I go for a nice new 27" iMac - or whatever is about at the time!

A

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.