dead Macbook RAM

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by djchristie, Sep 2, 2008.

1. djchristie macrumors member

djchristie

Hi all,

a friend of mine just rang to say that their new macbook will not startup, just gives 3 beeps. I've looked this up and it seems there are no accessible banks of RAM. It was working fine prior to this. I have got her to take the chips out and try them one at a time, to now avail.

My question is, is this likely to be as simple as getting new RAM, or is it something more terminal?

She has been living on an island with an erratic power supply for a few months (run off a wind turbine and a diesel generator). By no means a clean power supply. My thinking is the fluctuating power may be the cause, and have suggested that in future she use a surge protector.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

2. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

If neither RAM stick works it could be the RAM card.

3. *Sandy* macrumors 6502

Be glad to bring her some if she buys me a ticket, need some island time ! LOL

4. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Best thing would be to try somebody else's RAM in the machine - pc5300 ddr2 (normal modern laptop RAM). It might be the RAM slots - is she seating the RAM properly - rock them from side to side and then push them in till there are white marks on her fingers.

When you say new MacBook - is it still under warranty ?

Not convinced that the power supply/generators are at fault though......

5. djchristie thread starter macrumors member

djchristie

Thanks for the replies folks.

The Macbook is still under warranty, but we'd have to send it back to the UK which is expensive and time consuming, it would be away a couple of months.

I'm trying to ascertain how likely it is it's just the RAM, or whether as both sticks have gone it's going to be the RAM card.

I'm 99% sure it's not that they aren't seated properly, it was apparently working fine, was shut down then wouldn't startup again.

I'll try and fine some compatible RAM and get her to send it in to town, and see if it makes any difference.

The generator thing was just a guess, it's always surging and lights dimming and flaring. Trying to guess as to the cause of this sudden failure, though could just be bad luck of course!!

Thanks again!

6. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

As someone else said, trying other RAM would be best but that might not be easy to do. Has she attempted both RAM cards in the same slot?

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Make an appointment with the Apple store—they can diagnose to see if its the slot of the RAM since they have spare hardware to test with.

8. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Evidently you didn't read her posts.

9. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Nearest one is probably 3000 miles away - maybe more.........

Just to double-check - you have tried starting the MacBook with just one RAM chip in it (and in each of the slots). The MacBook will startup with just one chip in but if one of the chips is faulty (and you start up with it in the machine) then it won't matter which slot it is in....

If that scenario does not work out and you can try with known good memory than it may well be a dead logicboard.......

10. djchristie thread starter macrumors member

djchristie

Thanks again folks. Yep, nearest Apple store is 8000 miles away.......

Will try and get a RAM chip and send it out to her to swap - easier said than done, no computer shop for a similar distance!!!!

11. logana macrumors 65816

logana

If you have your MBP handy then one of the 1GB chips in it will work fine in the MacBook..............