Price Advice Dead macbook - worth?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Senght, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Senght, Feb 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2012

Senght macrumors newbie

I own a 13inch macbook (mid 2009) edition. It died 2 days ago and the guys at the apple service provider told me that they detected liquid damage, which means that applecare doesn't cover it.

In addition, they told me over the phone that the following parts are damaged
    1. logic board
    2. battery
    3. ac connectors (some of them, can't hear them properly)

I got a buyer on craigslist quoting me 200 dollars for the dead macbook (with all remaining parts).

Is it a good deal?

2. malman89 macrumors 68000

Sounds good to me. If one of the key components - the logic board - is damaged and you either have a broken hunk of plastic (or aluminum) or $200, I'd just take the $200.

Though maybe double check some comparative eBay postings to see if you could get anything substantially higher.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay, or Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what you may be able to charge. Then adjust your price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc.

4. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

I don't think any of those applies for a broken MB. Ebay might, but with this kind of thing its difficult to tell depending on whats broken.
    I think you should see if he gives you 200 but tell him you want to keep the HDD. That would be very good.
    I just sold a liquid damaged MB for 100$ without HDD, battery and charger. Thought I got a decent deal, but it was from 2006.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's why I said:

6. Senght, Feb 17, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012

Senght thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys for the tips!

Just got back my diagnostics report.

The following parts are damaged:
    Logic Board
    Battery/Sleep connector
    AC Mag Connector.

I have 5 months worth of Applecare left and I am intending to keep my HDD.

What do you think is a fair price for the MB that I will be selling?

7. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

So you're basically selling the RAM, the screen, and the casing.

8. Senght thread starter macrumors newbie

Charlieroberts, where did you find the buyer for your MB?

9. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

I advertised on CraigsList and ebay, got offers on both sides. In the end I sold it on CL.

What happened to your 200$ buyer on CL???

10. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

$200 sounds decent. Be sure to wipe the hard drive first. If you have another Mac and an external enclosure for the drive. Hook it up and run disk utility. There are options to securely erase your hard drive.

Selling it without the drive will hurt the value further. With this sort of thing it is difficult to set a value. Sometime on eBay if the computer looks perfect some nimrods will bid up to close to working value.

11. Senght thread starter macrumors newbie

charlie: I gave him pictures of my macbook and told him I am not selling my HDD. He said he thought I was selling the unibody model and re-quoted a value of 50 dollars. I declined the offer seeing that you got 100 dollars for essentially what I was selling...

Im advertising on CL now but I have no offers yet. Sigh

12. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

Well, I might have gotten lucky, it did take a couple of months for it to sell, so it depends how quickly you want to get it over with.

13. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Just put it on eBay. That's going to be the easiest way to get rid of a broken computer.