Dead Macbook :(

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by orion771, Nov 8, 2008.

1. orion771 macrumors newbie

Hi.
    I have a huge problem. I bought my first mac in July last year. A beautiful and stable white macbook. Coming from a Windows world, the MacOs was a tremendous change. I love my computer and my life became so much easier. That was until August.

Just one month after the warranty expired my hard drive (Seagate) died. I don't have Apple care so, besides losing my data (thank god I had the most important stuff backed up), being very upset for a few days and try to recover the data (I didn't do it, because it was so expensive and there was almost no hope, because of the click sound in my HD) I bought a bigger HD and thought my problems were over.

But yesterday, my mac freezes, doing nothing out of the ordinary. I tried every way to reboot but nothing worked. I waited for the problem to solve itself but nothing. So, I had to remove the battery (I did this once before in a similar situation). The computer shut down but never woke up.

Now my mac is dead, I push the power button and nothing happens. No sound, no lights, nothing. The light on the magsafe is off. The battery is charged (3/5). I'm afraid the logic board died.

I checked the RAM modules and the HD but they seem fine and in place.

Do you think it could be anything else or it sounds like a Logic board problem? Because I'm scared that it would be very expensive and I've already paid a lot for this computer (here in my country they cost about US$1500, and that's the macbook white with superdrive, not even the macbook pro).

I'm very sad and I don't know what to do. But I'm still in love with macs

Thanks.

2. California macrumors 68040

California

Strange. Somehow you are not giving us enough information. Pram battery? Another dead hard drive? Battery connection screwing things up?

3. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

Is it a Western Digital drive? I've heard that the sudden movement sensor in some WD hard drive may interfere with the built-in sudden motion sensor in the MacBook. Worth doing some looking around on the web on that.

If it is indeed a Western Digital Scorpio, this might help:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TA22840?viewlocale=en_US&locale=fr_FR

4. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Did you try reseting PRAM and PSU (search apple.com/support)?

5. orion771 thread starter macrumors newbie

more info

Hi. thanks for replying. It's a Western Digital HD. I still have the old Seagate HD. Should I try to turn on my macbook with the old HD even if it doesn't boot, just to see if this is a HD malfunction?

About the battery, it seems ok. it shows 3 lights (in the charge indicator). I've tried to turn on the computer with bettery/electricity, with battery only, with electricity only, and nothing.

I followed the steps to reset the PRAM and the PSU, but nothing happened.

6. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

I'd take it in to an Apple Store.

Also, next time please get Apple Care... and as for the HD dying, it could of died at anytime. Since it's in a laptop, it encounters a lot of movement, making it very vulnerable, the most Apple would of done was replace the HD, however recovering data, they can only recommend a 3rd party. You need to find a backup solution as well..

7. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

True, the new hard drive could have died as well. This can happen anytime without warning. If you have time, you can put it into an enclosure and run a checkdisk from another computer. If it's bad, then return it to WD. If nothing works, then you'll have to take it to Apple Store.

I also second the finding of a backup solution. I am not trying to lecture you. The easiest and cheapest solution would be to get an external drive at least the same size as your internal one, and run either SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy CLoner. You'll then have a bootable external drive...nice for diagnostics.

Good Luck!

8. missypup macrumors newbie

so sorry for you :-(

I had a bad problem with an employees desktop -- wouldn't boot, but power could go on... the little apple showed up, but then nothing.

Don't know if this applies to you, but try it...
    1. Plug it into a good one with a computer to computer firewire (6 pin,fyi!)
    2. Hold down the “t” key on bad computer and restart it
    3. A firewire symbol will appear on bad computer’s screen (takes a while)
    4. Now the bad computer appears as an external drive (like a floppy disk!) on the good computer
    5. Pull over the data

good luck, I know how bad it sucks to loose your stuff -- the time, the troubleshooting, the agro! I'm ginna go back up my HD now!