Dead Macbook???

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MicktheGreat, Dec 27, 2008.

1. MicktheGreat macrumors newbie

Last night, I used my Macbook to check my email before going to sleep.

This morning, I woke up to check my email, pushed the power button on my Macbook, and....nothin'. My Macbook just sits there, totally non-responsive.

When I push the battery button on the bottom of the laptop, it says that the battery is fully charged. However, I noticed that now, when I plug in the power adapter, the little green adapter light doesn't come on at all (or it's REALLY dim) instead of being bright green (like it used to be).

I've tried a couple of "solutions" on the Apple website but nothing seems to work. Like I said, my Macbook doesn't respond at all -- just a totally black screen, like it's completely dead (even though the battery is supposedly fully charged).

Anyone else had a similar problem to this???
    Any solutions or will I just have to visit the Apple store???

The main reason I'm concerned is because I have lots of important files saved on my laptop and really need to extract them.

Any help or insight that you could provide would be GREATLY appreciated...
    :confused:

2. CastrolSyntec macrumors newbie

Have you tried to reset the SMC, this that and the other?

Does the chime sound?

3. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

Did you try taking out the battery and putting it back in?

4. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

The macbook power adapter only is bright on one side, so most likely you have it plugged in on the wrong side, it's worth a shot.
    Does it do so much as turn on when you press power on?

5. logana macrumors 65816

logana

If the MagSafe light is very dim it is usually a sign of a dead logicboard - is it under warranty ? It does not matter which way round it is - there is an led (or a lens for the led) on both sides.

The files on your hard drive "should" be ok though......

6. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

20 CC's of AppleCare STAT!

If resetting the SMC doesn't work, bring it in for a checkup. Is it under warranty?

7. MicktheGreat thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried resetting the SMC but nothing happens.

I've also tried removing the battery and putting it back in, but that doesn't do anything either. Besides, as I said in the original post, the battery button on the bottom of the Macbook shows that the battery is fully charged (so I don't think it's the battery).

As far as warranty goes, I bought my Macbook refurbished off the Apple website about 2 years ago. I doubt that the warranty lasts that long for a refurbished Mac (even if it's directly from Apple).

Quick question (because I'm pretty dumb when it comes to computers):
    If my Macbook's logic board is indeed fried, is there anyway that I can possibly extract some of my Macbook's files? I'm a student and I've got some very important papers, presentations, projects, etc. saved on my Macbook. Losing all these files would absolutely destroy me.

Thanks for all the help so far...

8. Harmless Abuse macrumors regular

Get an external harddrive enclosure for cheap off of newegg.com and put your macbook harddrive in it. After that, plug it into another computer, and extract them.

9. DaReaper macrumors member

did you used time machine to backup your files???

10. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Erm...
    I guess you could bring it in to Apple and see what's wrong, so you can fix it yourself or pay Apple to do it.
    However, the HD shouldn't be dead. You should be able to get an external Exclosure and get the data on another Computer. Another poster already stated this, but I'm just confirming it indeed can be done.
    Good luck!