dead macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by CrAkD, May 30, 2010.

1. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

ok so I left my macbook plugged in with the lid open on top of a keyboard stand infront of an AC today. I had forgotten the AC was screwed up and was spitting water/ice. My macbook was soaked when I came home. I quickly unplugged it and took the battery out its now drying out. I didnt see the light on the AC power plug or the sleep light blinking at all before unplugging it/removing battery. I dont want to try turning it on til it drys out for a few days just incase but shouldnt both of lights been on?

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Both lights? Hmm.. depends. Why not just let it dry-out for about a week in an airy place before powering up? Then you'll find out if it's still alive; who knows, you might be really lucky!

Good luck man.

3. CrAkD thread starter macrumors 68040

CrAkD

no dice. my aunt got home before me (by about 15 minutes) and she found it soaked and moved it but told me the screen was all white when she found it so i figured if its been powered the whole time no sense in waiting. I dissassembled the whole thing. the hard drive was soaked and one of the ram sticks had a bit of water on it (the sticker on the ram was wet) I wiped it all down and reassembled it tried booting from an external hd with only 1 ram stick in or no hd etc no dice. first time i plugged it in i had to push the power button to get the screen to turn white but every time after I just attach the power connector and the screen turns white 2 seconds later. im guessing it may be the logic board but I dunno if I want to gamble. get real pricey replacing piece by piece

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Ouch!!! :eek:

I'm sorry to hear that. I do hope you have home insurance, you could make a claim on that.. that way, it won't be so hard to stomach.

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...well it probably won't help you now but next time something like this happens stick it in a bag of uncooked rice so the rice sucks up the moisture for a few days before attempting to turn it on at all...

6. CrAkD thread starter macrumors 68040

CrAkD

hahaha I had the box of rice out when my aunt told me the screen was white when she found it. but I only had instant which probably wouldnt have worked.

7. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Out of curiousity. Just how long did you allow the machine to dry? Usually if electronics get wet, the sooner it's disconnected from power-sources and the longer it's left to dry (we're talking days here); the higher the chance it might recover. Though... there's a high chance it's already been shorted, in which case you've got two choices.

1. Make a claim on the insurance
    2. sell the bits off as spare!
    I'm pretty sure someone out there will want something from it.

I'd would advise you not to sell the HD, even if it's busted.

8. CrAkD thread starter macrumors 68040

CrAkD

well not long as it all happened yesterday but it was plugged in and on the whole time anyway before I found it. Im not worried about any data on the drive as there was nothing on it really. I just updated to snow leopard so it was a fresh partition. i got it all book back together sitting on a shelf im gonna wait a few weeks and try it again then sell it for parts i guess.