Dead machine, can I redownload iTunes videos?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jgmacrum, Nov 2, 2009.

1. jgmacrum macrumors member

A friend of mine had his machine die, and discovered that his video files were not properly backed up. I have this vague notion that I've heard you can redownload videos from iTunes w/o having to pay again in a stiuation like this but can't confirm. Is this the case, or no? If so, how would he go about doing that?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Generally, no, you can't download your purchases again - it's up to the user to keep a backup. It's a hard lesson to learn, but backups are vital.

That said, it can't hurt to ask iTunes support.

3. jgmacrum thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, it sounds like what happened was that he was using one of those cloud/internet backup services and they don't actually back up video files.

Thought it was worth asking about ... the more I think about it, I believe I was remembering the TV shows as being the stuff you could redownload.

4. Barbie macrumors regular

Barbie

the iTunes store allows you to redownload your purchases once if you ask for their support, your account is in good standing and its a genuine reason.

:)

5. jgmacrum thread starter macrumors member

6. thunderboltspro macrumors regular

The question we should be asking is explain on how the computer is dead?
    If its not the hardrive then it would be easy to recover your friends itunes stuff.

7. jgmacrum thread starter macrumors member

It was a hard drive from a laptop. I have no idea to what extent the data is/isn't recoverable ... hwen I described the potential ways of trying to recover data he chalked it up to likely being more trouble/cost than it was worth if the files couldn't simply be retrieved from apple.

8. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

i had this problem and yes if you contact support about it and your account is in good standing you may re-download everything you've bought (provided its still on the store @ the same price) but its a one time thing so start backing up! I know I really upped my backup rate after that fiasco....