Dead Max Spec MacBook Pro :o(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ifti, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Ifti macrumors 68000

I have a MacBook Pro Retine 15" purchased in 2013.
    At the time of purchase I ensured I went for the max possible spec as I wanted it to last me for a long period of time.
    My main use for the system is FCPX and screen capture - all other tasks are done on my MBA.

Anyway, 2 days ago I was using it as normal. Battery level was at 30% although as I was editing/rendering in FCPX I decided to plug the charger in (original charger, genuine Apple, came with MacBook).
    After around 10 mins of charging and working normally, I heard a loud pop come from the MacBook, and it suddenly died. It was at this point I started to smell burning coming from the centre of the vent/hinge area. I immediately disconnected the power and waited 10 mins. Nevertheless, the system is completely dead - no life whatsoever.

I had just transferred around 40GB of raw video capture to the machine ready for editing and had not yet backed this up or imported to my scratch disk for editing. The memory card had been wiped ready for the next recording session. I was literally in the process of starting up to import footage so no backup yet!! To say I was worried is an understatement, as Im usually quite hot on backing up my data!!

Fortunately I was able to remove the drive, but then realised it would obviously not fit in my MBA! I had to remove the MBA battery in order to get the drive connected, connect the system to power, and was able to boot from it and backup my data! At least that confirmed my drive was OK!

Now concerned about how much this was going to cost, I checked coverage and fortunately the system is within its Applecare warranty literally by days!!

So the system was dropped off with an Apple Authorised Service Centre yesterday, and today I have received an update telling me a new part has been ordered. Not sure on what went wrong or which part it is just yet although will be sure to get details and post up! Apple seemed quite concerned, asking me questions like where I was using the system, which room in the house, etc - quite in depth!

Anyways, anyone had anything similar before?? Haven't got a clue why this happened. The system wa sin its normal place, being used normally. Doesn't fill me with a ton of confidence for the future, just thankful it was still under warranty!

One thing I don't understand - the service centre told me they may have to reformat my drive. I informed them that I didn't think the drive was at fault - its a power issue, so there should be no need to reformat the drive? They then said they have to run their diagnostics etc and may need to wipe it if need be (even though they have been provided my password). How likely is it that they will wipe the system and reinstall it??

2. Schranke macrumors 6502

Schranke

First of, sad to hear about your mac. It does sound weird.
    Second, the times i have had my mac in for any repairs they did not formate the drive. But since we do not know what precisely happened it is hard to say what they will need to do. i do how ever hope that they will leave that part be so you can have your footage.

I do some photography and I made sure that i first delete contend from my cards when the back up is in house, i hope you will consider the same. saves you from a lot of work should a problem happen

3. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

I have a NAS with a front USB port and one touch copy - in future I will place my SD Cards into a card reader and attach it to the NAS to perform a quick copy before I do anything else!!