Dead MBP--Advice needed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dfwtbear, Dec 17, 2013.

1. dfwtbear macrumors newbie

I have a 2 year old MacBook Pro 13in non-retina that just suddenly stopped working totally dead. No power, will not come on, no charge. Looking for advice because I did not get apple care so now I have a $1000 brick.

2. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

Firstly, where in the world are you? If you are in the EU, then consumer law covers you for up to 6 years as long as it is reasonably a manufacturing defect. So, if you have not abused it, you may have a good case.

If not, I would still take it to an Apple store, and ask them to look at it, which I think is free. It is still a relatively new computer, and I don't think it unreasonable for them to fix it for a small charge, or take pity (read: he/she was nice to us and could have been a jerk and threatened to sue us) on you and do it for free. It's amazing what being nice and calm and clearly explaining the dilemma can do for you. And if that doesn't work, politely ask if you can speak to the manager, rinse and repeat.

And if all that doesn't work, there's always the email to Tim Cook...

----------

Oh, and if you can check that it's not just the power adapter that has failed. Even the grumpiest of computer store assistants should let you test that one!

3. dfwtbear thread starter macrumors newbie

USA, its not the power adaptor, stopped working suddenly when using on battery power.

4. Ai-apple macrumors regular

It's probably your battery if you can power on using AC adaptor.

5. Beezy253 macrumors 6502

Since you're out of warranty, I would open the bottom, disconnect/remove the battery, then try to power it up (with the magsafe connected, of course)

If that doesn't work.. I would switch out the ram (bad ram = computer won't start up), and if that isn't the problem, I would try replacing the hard drive.

6. scbond macrumors 6502

Before you do anything take it to an Apple store and have a diagnosis done for free, explain what happened and then you know what to do from there. You may even be fortunate enough to be offered a free repair which Apple does fairly often in certain cases.

7. dfwtbear thread starter macrumors newbie

It does not power on at all