Dead MBP advise please

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TimTheEnchanter, Jun 30, 2011.

1. TimTheEnchanter macrumors 6502a

TimTheEnchanter

So here's the brief story...

Our old 2.4 MBP was gifted to my teenage child's friend, who is an aspiring and talented illustrator. Last week he had a very unfortunate accident of spilling soda on the keyboard. I had a quick look at it days later, but knew it wasn't good. Feeling sorry for him, I decided to take it in (on my dime) to a local Microcenter to have it diagnosed and as I expected it's dead and would cost $1,000 to repair. Logicboard, keyboard and screen would have to be replaced. He had no Applecare or other coverage, and since he's from a low-income broken family, there's no renter's insurance coverage either.

Now, his mom and grandparents might be able to scrap together some money for a new Mac for him, but will take some time. I plan to pitch-in some too, but what I'm wondering...
    1. Is it worth anything as-is?
    2. Where, besides ebay or craigslist, could I sell it as-is?
    3. Is it better to part-out the good components and sell them?

I'm trying to find a little "good" from a bad situation. He feels really bad and knows he screwed-up. He WILL be working for the new MBP and knows it's his responsibility to make right.

I appreciate any advise and help, but ask to spare the lectures and trolling. He doesn't use these forums and he already got it from his mother (and even some from me).

Thank you!

2. alexxn macrumors regular

I used this company: http://www.dttservice.com/

They replaced my logic board after a spill for $350 and the computer worked flawless for me. 6 Month warranty also.

Just another option......

3. ale500 macrumors regular

Unless he reallly needs the features or screen size of a bigger MBP, a MB from the refurbished apple store may be a convenient way of getting a better deal, and a portable machine with quite a good battery life!

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

i think it's very generous of you to help out so much, especially after gifting it in the first place. props.

i'm not sure where to sell it besides ebay or CL but i believe that there is a market for liquid damaged macs there. i'm not sure what you will get for it, as it depends on what is actually damaged and what can be salvaged out of it. i couldn't imagine you getting too much out of it. i think it would benefit you to part out what is not damaged and sell it that way, you could get a decent buck. unfortunately soda is probably the worst thing you can spill on a laptop.

as far as getting a new one I would just get a new 13'' from microcenter for $999. a refurb 2010 off of the apple store is going to be over $900 after tax.

good luck.

5. TimTheEnchanter, Jul 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2011

TimTheEnchanter thread starter macrumors 6502a

TimTheEnchanter

I might look into that, but since there is so much damage I'm not sure if its worth it. It might be worth a try since they do free diagnostic. It does boot-up with the loud alert tone but runs very slow, "glitchy" and the screen backlight is not functioning. I think I'll be able to transfer his data off it without taking out the hard drive.

Thank you for your input though! :)

Agreed, thank you. Although the 13" MBP at Microcenter is a great deal if he's able to buy new. I might set him up with my old 20" ACD as a workstation to get a larger screen back.

Thank you, he's a good kid (15y) in a bad situation and want to help him grow.

I don't expect to make that much off selling it for parts/repair, just want to maximize for what I can for him. It might not be worth the time to part it out, only if it makes a significant difference.

A new one would be best, last the longest, warranted but depending on his need and funds, we may end up buying a used MB or MBP off CL. An iMac or even a MacMini might be good too, but a laptop would be more functional for him.

- - - - -
    Thanks again "A-TEAM" ;) :)

6. RoyalFlushAK(s) macrumors member

Of course you can sell it at eBay or Craiglist. Don't you see how much junk they sell out there. What's another worthless piece of nothing on the open market. Sell it there and let some other poor soul take the loss with his little paycheck. Anyway, the economy sucks

Only in America ..., Jesus Henry Christ!

I'm going ALL-IN with RoyalFlush, ..., lol,

7. TimTheEnchanter thread starter macrumors 6502a

TimTheEnchanter

HA! :D

Which is most likely what I'll end up doing. Just exploring any other viable options. Whatever helps him raise enough money to get what he needs, and I figure this would help too.

Just don't think it's only in America, the world is full of people buying other people's junk. As they say, one man's junk is another man's treasure! :D

8. CampDavid macrumors member

Get out the screw drivers. Seriously, get on the net, look at various threads on repairing water spilled note books and pull it apart. Worst case you'll be selling it as broken anyway, why not have a go?

I learnt how to build computers when I was about 13. I was given 3 crap PCs from which I made one mildly crap one. I updated it, configured it and ended up with a decent bit of kit. 16 years later I'm still in IT and enjoy watching a dumper truck unload vast quantities of cash into my bank account each month.

(I'm exaggerating but you get the point)

9. MacBookPr0 macrumors regular

i know you said besides ebay but you could get a few hundred for it on ebay

10. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

i also suggest ebay.

someone will want to buy it for parts. you might get few hundred out of it depending on make and model. besides hopefully the screen is still good.

sell any other accessories he don't need on ebay as well. don't do craigslist because that's more of an hassle and u'll get bombarded with nigeria scams.

use that money... and put it towards a refurb mac from apple. better that way since u'll get 1 yr warranty from apple (i know it will be more expensive than buying used on ebay/craigs, but peace of mind).

also if ur getting a new one, use the STUDENT DISCOUNT. since u are buying technically for a student.

11. TimTheEnchanter thread starter macrumors 6502a

TimTheEnchanter

True, it is worth a shot.

LOL! I only said that because it was a given, but it does look like my best bet if I were t sell it.

Thanks! CL can be a pain in the ars, agreed. ebay gives you a larger audience too.

I'm happy with refurbs even though I had serious problems years ago with my PMG5 refurb from Apple. It is nice to get the 1-year warranty and have the option to extend it if you want. AND thank you for mentioning the student discount, I almost forgot about that.

So I may just try over the long weekend here to fully open it up and clean it out. I know bringing it to a place where they sell new Macs raises concern about their diagnostics, pushing the repair cost high enough that you opt for a new computer. The fact it still functions somewhat makes me think there a chance, however slight, to fix or partially-fix it, maybe bringing down the repair cost of what I can't do. If that does nothing, then off to ebay it goes.

Thanks for all of the advise. Wish me luck... I'm goin' in baby! :cool:

12. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

good luck! and come back and let us know how it goes. :D