dead mbp - any ideas

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by G0meZ, Jun 13, 2013.

1. G0meZ macrumors regular

so i got this pre-unibody mbp, approx. 2008 i think (only five yrs :(:mad:)

last time it shut down, it seemed to have just gone off without properly shutting down.
    since then, no boot up chime, no pic, sleep light is permanently glowing, nothing else happening...

target mode isn't working, either

tried booting from usb stick and cd (cd is stuck in there since - how to recover that one??)

charger is working and charging the battery ok

tried smc and nvram resets several times

replaced ram, reseated them several times

took out hdd, connected to another computer, drive is working fine

the fact that booting up without any ram doesn't give any beeping errors seems to hint to some dead logic board, right?

or what else?

thing is, all repair centers here in switzerland want around 150 usd for just looking at it - and if it is a logic board, i seem to remember this costing over 700 bucks... :eek:
    i'm broke and don't think that would be worth it then... any ideas what i can do now?

2. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

3. G0meZ thread starter macrumors regular

4. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

Can you take the battery out or disconnect the battery from the LB?

If you can do that I would disconnect the battery and ac adapter, then plug just the adapter in and see what happens.

If that doesn't work and you have no options I would bake the logic board. Seriously. Take the LB out and put it in your oven. It has worked for many people. If I was absolutely stuck, this is what I would do.

You can look here.

5. G0meZ, Jun 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2013

G0meZ thread starter macrumors regular

wtf :eek:
    that's the weirdest thing i've ever seen!!

but damn, removing the lb!? not sure i'll ever get that machine back together...i'm a sw guy :rolleyes:

putting the entire mbp (without disk/ram/battery) in the oven won't do? would that kill the screen? on the other hand, there's tons of plastics on the motherboard, too...

it's an pre-unibody, so yeah i can remove the batt no problem, but all these things didn't work, either

6. sick z33 macrumors 6502

Baking the LB sounds crazy, never heard of that before. But if its worked, why not? :)

7. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

If you can't buy new or get it fixed, I would bake it. It really does work as you can see in the Google search and YouTube videos.

Try it this weekend and let us know how it goes.

-P