Dead MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kaliboy, Oct 12, 2008.

1. kaliboy macrumors newbie

Hi peeps.

Sorry for this being my first post but I need some ideas. My 2.4 Pro has just died again. This is the third time the Logic board has failed (hence knowing the symptons.)

I've just checked and I'm also out of Applecare warranty. I think it ran out at the end of last month.

Does anyone know if this is a common problem with the 2.4s? Does anyone think I can throw this back at Apple again and get it repaired F.O.C?

It was last repaired in July!

Any suggestions would be really appreciated. I'd just started an essay, for college, last night and now I've got to start again!

Thanks

Matt

2. Kaupa macrumors regular

3. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

It depends when in July it was repaired. All repairs have a 90 day warranty. If you're outside that 90 day window, then no...you'll have to pay for repair.

4. kaliboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Kaupa!

That 'could' cover my machine. I restarted the machine this morning and it started up but there's nothing on the screen. The hard drive kicks up, the light comes on the front and the keyboard lights up. Then nothing else!

Either way, If the logic board was replaced in July, and this one has gone again, do you think I'm eligible for a free repair? I'm not concerned about any kind of upgrade, I just want the thing back up and running!

Matt

5. kaliboy thread starter macrumors newbie

:( That's not good news! but what keeps making them go pop? Has anybody any ideas?

6. Kaupa macrumors regular

Well sounds exactly as it was the graphic failure well known and now officially stated from apple.
    I would call Apple and ask for a free repair refering to that article!

7. rolex54 macrumors 6502

if it is your 3rd repair you should demand a brand new one

8. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

depends when in july if its not the nvidia problem, then the give your 90day warrenty on your repair

9. kaliboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers for the replies guys!

I spoke to a friend who has dealt with Apple for years. He is also a fully qualified Apple technician. He told me that there is a 12 month warranty on the new part, because the parts were supplied and fitted by Apple. Also, the fact that it's the same thing happening shows that the fault hasn't been rectified, even though it's just out of Applecare warranty, the machine should still be fixed free-of-charge, or replaced with a new machine.