Dead ODD- can I remove it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by njdevil, Mar 17, 2012.

1. njdevil macrumors member

Just a quick question- the ODD in my 2008 15" MBP no longer works, the only thing it does now is make an extremely loud grinding noise every time I boot up- loud enough that I can't boot during the middle of a lecture without half the room wondering what the hell is happening.

Planning on replacing the ODD with an SSD next summer anyway, so I just want to know if there's any problem with taking out the ODD now? Having nothing connected to that SATA cable won't have any effect on how the mac boots or runs, correct?

2. simsaladimbamba

No problem taking it out now.
    MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
    • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
    • 1. Getting a new HDD
    • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
    • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
    • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

Btw, why don't you use the SLEEP option instead of shutting the Mac down?

3. njdevil thread starter macrumors member

Awesome, thank you.

I run Win 7 in Bootcamp about 50% of the time for gaming, the other 50% of the time I'm working in OSX so I need to reboot fairly often.

4. Takashi macrumors regular

Of course you can. A small bottle of elbow grease and a screwdriver will work. Remove and throw the drive away and replace it with a SSD.

5. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Be sure to put the SSD in the hard drive bay and the existing HDD in the optical bay. The reason for this is because IIRC your HDD SATA is SATA 3.0 where as the optical drive is only SATA 1.5 and so your SSD will be able to show its stuff better when in the hard drive bay. I figure you know this but just in case I wanted to point it out.

6. simsaladimbamba

The interface in the HDD bay of an early 2008 MBP is S-ATA 1.5 Gbps (S-ATA I), the interface for the ODD is P-ATA.
    A late 2008 MBP has an S-ATA 3.0 Gbps (S-ATA II) interface for HDD and ODD.
    I have a 2009 MBP with an SSD inside the Optibay and the HDD in the HDD bay.

7. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I was under the impression that initially the early 2008 was SATA3 but shipped to link the speed at SATA1.5 because of some early testing concerns and that, after people got pissed, an update allowed them to run at SATA3? Am I off by one refresh?

8. simsaladimbamba

I guess you were right.