Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nconnella

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
Just got my custom config 16" MBP today.

I tried doing a data migration from my 2014 MBP and the screen went black and wouldn't turn on. I closed the lid and reopened to find this:

IMG_2004.jpeg

Upon force restarting, it got stuck in an infinite reboot so I booted in recovery mode, tried to reinstall Catalina to start all over, but it would not complete the reinstall. It would stall at "2 minutes remaining" and never complete, only to eventually shut itself down.

Apple's Senior Advisors documented it but gave up and said it's busted.

Back it goes, and now I'm screwed for my editing work and stuck at the back of the line waiting another week or more since it's a custom config. Super bummed but mainly writing this to document the issue in case it happens to others.

Apple gave me a small discount on my re order which was nice but I'd rather have a working machine and not have to limp along on this job with an older machine.

UPDATE: tried again and now I get this error too when trying to reinstall Catalina.
03B8E608-4866-415D-BB74-5F214110DF32.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Nemozini

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Consider buying a lottery ticket. That is super unlucky. I’m so sorry. Hope Apple will get you a replacement quickly.

Reactions: nconnella

MattfromAK

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2019
I just returned my brand new machine with the same problem. I have never been so livid in my life.

MattfromAK

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2019
16-inch MacBook Pro - Space Gray​
With the following configuration:
2.4GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 8GB of GDDR6 memory
32GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory
1TB SSD storage​

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009
This happened to me with AirPods recently.

The manager at Best Buy said she had never seen a DOA set of AirPods before.

I feel for you.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Bought my wife a MacBook Air a couple of months ago, dead out of the box. Never seen that before from an Apple compute, thankfully no issue on my 16 model. So I get your frustration, especially if you have to order again. It does seem pretty rare though as when I returned my wife's for a replacement, they spent almost an hour trying everything they knew to get it to work. I had already tried all the methods, but I was curious to learn if they knew something we didn't, so I waiting to see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.