Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brummmie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2015
Just purchased the Apple Watch Sport for my wife and it was dead on arrival. Would not power up even after charging all night. Tried holding both buttons in for 10 seconds or so and still would not power up. Took it back and got a new one. This one powered up but after selecting the language, it gave a message saying battery was low and it need to be charged in order to continue. We charged it for 12 hours and still got the same message. Tried holding both buttons for 10 seconds or so and after it did a reset, got the same message saying it needed to be charged. Enough is enough. Took it back for a full refund. My wife is an ardent Apple fan and this was a birthday gift for her, but even my wife said "no more". Come on Apple, haven't you heard of quality control!

Recognition

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2013
Could it be a power supply issue? Have you tried a different power outlet in your home or another location all together?
There's been instances of people's watches (and subsequent replacement watches) not charging.
The chances of getting a dud watch twice in a row are extremely low, but they've used the same plug socket each time.
Could be worth a shot?

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
This is INCREDIBLY statistically unlikely. Much more likely that there is something you guys were doing to cause this. Here are a couple of options:

1. Faulty outlet
2. Using an old faulty charger (like, one from an old iPhone)
3. Forgetting to remove the clear plastic sticker from the surface of the induction charger.
4. Not plugging the USB end of the charging cable in.
5. Not completely seating the induction charger on the Watch.
6. Dropping the Watch in water and then trying to charge it with car jumper cables hooked directly to it.

Sorry for the trouble though. I will say, the Watch is totally worth it. Go grab another one... It is COMPLETELY STATISTICALLY IMPOSSIBLE for this to happen a 3rd time ;-)

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
Come on Apple, haven't you heard of quality control!
We are not Apple so it's possible your voice won't be heard but I can feel your pain. Usually the battery should be above 50% when you get it. I can't imagine that it runs down near to zero during shipping as the devices are not stored long enough after production for this to happen. Most certainly the first one was a dud but the chances of the second to show the same problem is very small.
If you or your wife want to give it a third shot, try setting it up in store, or at least powering it on. It takes just a few minutes to verify its condition. You then can do the real setup at home.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
I got a new replacement for my watch (after waiting 16 days, wasn't happy). When I picked it up at my local apple store, it was dead, wouldn't even power on. It simply needed a charge. This isn't typical of apple, usually they are partially charged. It is weird, because I'm sure they can charge them through the box, with some type of more powerful charger...

EDIT: Oh, and not only was it dead, it had watchOS 1 on it, not even 1.01... So, right away I had to upgrade it to 2.0 and then wipe it and restore from my previous 2.0 backup.

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
This is INCREDIBLY statistically unlikely. Much more likely that there is something you guys were doing to cause this. Here are a couple of options:

1. Faulty outlet
2. Using an old faulty charger (like, one from an old iPhone)
3. Forgetting to remove the clear plastic sticker from the surface of the induction charger.
4. Not plugging the USB end of the charging cable in.
5. Not completely seating the induction charger on the Watch.
6. Dropping the Watch in water and then trying to charge it with car jumper cables hooked directly to it.

Sorry for the trouble though. I will say, the Watch is totally worth it. Go grab another one... It is COMPLETELY STATISTICALLY IMPOSSIBLE for this to happen a 3rd time ;-)
I tend to agree. OP doesn't mention if he succeeded in pairing with iPhone.

Brummmie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2015
Both watches were tried in a different outlet. I have a feeling it may be the plastic everyone is referring to. I certainly didn't see any plastic on the back of the watch nor on the magnet side of the charger but from what I read, it's hard to tell there's any on there. If there is plastic on the watch and charger, then the instructions should say to remove it OR the plastic should have a tab saying "Remove before use" or something like that. Very bad on the part of Apple either way. I'm also surprised that a thin piece of plastic would prevent it from charging since it charges through induction, but I imagine it creates an air gap that the induction field can't pass through. Strange though, because the magnet didn't have any trouble snapping to the back of the watch.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Both watches were tried in a different outlet. I have a feeling it may be the plastic everyone is referring to. I certainly didn't see any plastic on the back of the watch nor on the magnet side of the charger but from what I read, it's hard to tell there's any on there. If there is plastic on the watch and charger, then the instructions should say to remove it OR the plastic should have a tab saying "Remove before use" or something like that. Very bad on the part of Apple either way. I'm also surprised that a thin piece of plastic would prevent it from charging since it charges through induction, but I imagine it creates an air gap that the induction field can't pass through. Strange though, because the magnet didn't have any trouble snapping to the back of the watch.

That makes no sense. You're saying you forgot to remove the plastic film on the magnetic charging cable, making it an user error? But this can't be the culprit because there are members who've been charging the AW with the plastic film still on and were slightly embarrassed to admit this.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
That makes no sense. You're saying you forgot to remove the plastic film on the magnetic charging cable, making it an user error? But this can't be the culprit because there are members who've been charging the AW with the plastic film still on and were slightly embarrassed to admit this.

I think he was saying or asking if this is a possibility for his problems.

Brummmie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2015
I'm saying that I did not see any plastic film on the watch or the charger magnet and therefore did not remove any film. If there was a film on either the watch or the charger, then it's not easy to see and there's nothing that tells you to remove a film(s). I did read a post somewhere that someone was able to charge the watch after removing the film and therefore, I thought this could be the problem, but if others have been able to charge without removing any film, then that should not have been the problem in my case.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I'm saying that I did not see any plastic film on the watch or the charger magnet and therefore did not remove any film.

Is this a Sport model, which comes with the plastic magnetic charging puck? The film that sits on the outside of the steel magnetic charging puck (included with the SS models) has a clear tab and is pretty difficult to miss.

Brummmie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2015
Yes, this is a Sport model that comes with the magnetic charging puck. If it has a clear tab, then either my wife removed it before charging, or it was never on in the first place because I looked at the puck after detaching it from the watch. This was the case with both watches in that there didn't appear to be any plastic film on the watch or charger puck. It's all very unlikely to have 2 bad watches in a row, but it does appear to be the case.

Recognition

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2013
Does seem very odd that you're having this bad luck.
I would do as someone mentioned above, purchase a third Apple Watch in store and have the staff open it up and charge it in front of you.
Good luck!

Brummmie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2015
My thanks to everyone for posting. I'm afraid my wife, who is/was a major Apple fan, has now lost faith in the watch, but maybe after it's been out a year or two, we will try again.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
My first watch had a battery problem, second one was running so hot i couldn't wear in on my wrist. Third one arrived with a scratched case. 4th one was perfect. Apple gave me £50 to spend in the Apple store for the inconvience

Brummmie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2015
Well that's good to know. How did you notify Apple of the 3 defective watches?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.