Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adkiller

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
Hi,

I've had my MBP for 3 weeks. Yesterday a black dot appeared on the screen in the middle where the menubar is. It was perfect previously with no defects whatsoever. My heart broke as I knew that I am out of the threshold for requesting a replacement or a fix. I have the 17" HD glossy display, thus you could imagine my utter sadness. :-(

I called up the Apple authorized service center to explore the possibility of getting it fixed and as expected he said 1 dead pixel is out of the question for a warranty replacement.

So I decided to look closer at the pixel and to see if there is something I could do to fix it. I googled around for some methods to fix it and have learnt that dead pixels are not fixable but stuck ones are.

I downloaded and played a pixel test video in Quicktime in fullscreen mode and noticed that the black dot disappears when the the screen is either blue or red. So it seems to me that only the green component of the pixel is not functioning.

The pixel is not stuck as it is not lit up all the time and it is only lit when it is red or blue. So is the pixel stuck or dead? What could I do to fix it?

I would appreciate any help on this.

Thanks,
-Ad

iBecks

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
If it's a dead pixel and Apple won't exchange or repair then I'm afraid that you'll have to live with it.

Can you change the background picture to make it less visible, or is it actually in the menu bar area?

adkiller

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
If it's a dead pixel and Apple won't exchange or repair then I'm afraid that you'll have to live with it.

Can you change the background picture to make it less visible, or is it actually in the menu bar area?

It is in the menu bar area, so it is pretty visible. Is it possible to do anything about it?

Thanks,
-Ad

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.