Dead pixel 2 seconds after starting my new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CaptainCannabis, Nov 9, 2008.

1. CaptainCannabis macrumors regular

So I decided to buy the new Macbook Pro, after Apple ripped me off with a useless machine in February (the Crapbook Air), and as soon as I get back from the store and start the computer the first thing that I notice is a dead pixel... (And I had only been using it for 4 seconds... what is up with Apple's quality??!!).

I've had it for 2 days now... should I go get a replacement? Will they accept it?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I believe there is a minimum number of deal pixels you must live with before they exchange, but searching the forums and reading will tell you that depending upon your attitude (which is awesome) and your persistence, some stores will exchange for you.

BTW, Apple did not rip you off with the Air in February. There was a wide spread problem that was experienced by many users (not all) called core shutdowns. It was my understanding Apple was willing to take the Air back and fix the issue by re-applying the thermal paste. Though I am unsure if this fixed the issue completely, I believe this was the resolution that made some happy. If you believed that Apple ripped you off personally then you should have returned the computer within 14 days or sold it to someone else and attempt to recover your money.

What is up with Apple's quality? I believe the displays are provided by a third party and as with every display there is a chance there will be a dead pixel. In the event there is a company will set a minimum standard or as their Genius people like to say "what is within spec". Apple's quality went downhill when they moved to Intel. That is my experience, my opinion, and my stand on the issue. I continue to buy because I'd rather use OSX than anything else and each computer company has their own host of issues anyway. Apple may not be the lesser of two evils, but they make up for it with an OS that I enjoy using.

3. CaptainCannabis thread starter macrumors regular

My MBA - I couldn't take it back because my 14 days were over. I didn't realise how bad it because I didn't really use it on those 14 days.

My MBP - And I think it's unacceptable that a machine that is worth over $2000 has a dead pixel as soon as it comes out of the box.

If they wont replace it I can still return it and get a new one right?

4. CaptainCannabis thread starter macrumors regular

5. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Yes they will replace it with a new one.

I must ask though, why did you buy another Mac after such a bad experience?

6. CaptainCannabis thread starter macrumors regular

I had 2 powerbooks before my Air, and they were amazing... so I thought that maybe the MBP would be amazing too... but I've seen Apple's quality gradually decrease over time... and my last 2 purchases just proves my point.

7. TSE macrumors 68030

I have a previous generation MacBook Pro and have absolutely no problems with it... just get it replaced or get it repaired.

8. UMHurricanes34 macrumors 65816

UMHurricanes34

Mine has a dead pixel too, but these things happen. I'd rather have this dead pixel than the slew of other issues.

When I got my 30" ACD, it had a stuck red pixel. Annoying? Of course, but not worth raising a stink over when there are so many other things that could go wrong.

I'll take my one dead pixel, thank you very much. This isn't some new development in technology. Everything has stuck/dead pixels. My PSP had a few lit pixels, my PowerBook G4 had a couple dead pixels. It's part of technology and the price we pay for high-tech LCD/LED displays

9. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Dead pixel(s) out of the box is not acceptable. Take it back. I can't understand the viewpoint of buying these 'premium' notebooks (and paying a premium price) and finding various out-of-the-box issues and having no issues with the defect. You wouldn't buy a car with a crack in the windshield and think, "Oh well, it happens." Hold the company to a suitable standard which they should uphold.

10. molala macrumors 6502a

Maybe because there have been 50 other threads with this exact same problem. People with dead pixels or dust under the glass of the screen (that they initially thought were dead pixels) have successfully exchanged their MBPs or have gotten refunds. Good luck.

11. CaptainCannabis thread starter macrumors regular

Good news, they did replace it.

They checked the screen with some weird magnifying thing and said they were going to give me a new one. Im really happy now. The other one also had a problem with the hard drive.

This one has no problems so far!

From here I would like to thank that genius!

Thanks!!