iPhone 8(+) Dead pixel. Apple replace screen?

GomerBoy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
Hi all,

My 8 plus is still under the year warranty from Apple. It has a dead pixel in the bottom right hand corner of the screen...not a huge deal...I have been living with it (and not even noticing it) for several months now. Will Apple replace the screen for me though if I take it to them since it’s still under warranty?

What would you do?

timeconsumer

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Hi all,

My 8 plus is still under the year warranty from Apple. It has a dead pixel in the bottom right hand corner of the screen...not a huge deal...I have been living with it (and not even noticing it) for several months now. Will Apple replace the screen for me though if I take it to them since it’s still under warranty?

What would you do?
If you’re under warranty I would 100% take it into Apple and get it replaced.

Breezygirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
Yup. It’s like getting a brand new phone.
I just got a white box replacement, it seems to have problems with the proximity sensor and Face ID is much slower on this replacement phone then my last. I’ll be taking it back in, so like any new phones some replacements may have issues.

GomerBoy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
I don’t know guys...the only thing “wrong” with my 8 Plus is the small dead pixel on the screen, which I can only see if the brightness is up (usually keep mine at 25 percent) or on a white screen.

I don’t want to get a referbished phone. I just want them to change my screen if anything.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona
I don’t know guys...the only thing “wrong” with my 8 Plus is the small dead pixel on the screen, which I can only see if the brightness is up (usually keep mine at 25 percent) or on a white screen.

I don’t want to get a referbished phone. I just want them to change my screen if anything.
I’m sure if they have the part in stock they’ll just replace the screen. I just had my battery replaced today and it literally took one hour... Screen replacement should take the same or less.

GomerBoy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
I’m sure if they have the part in stock they’ll just replace the screen. I just had my battery replaced today and it literally took one hour... Screen replacement should take the same or less.
Great! And they are still quality screens right?

GomerBoy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
So updated on my situation:

Kind of frustrated...took my 8 Plus to Apple store and they saw the dead pixel. For some reason though when they looked up my serial number, Apple “flagged” my phone to be sent in to replace the screen. Because of that, they could not do an in-store repair...what???

Has this happened to anyone else? Sorry but I’ll live with a dead pixel on my screen...I don’t want to get a loaner phone and deal with that hassle.

BasicGreatGuy

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
So updated on my situation:

Kind of frustrated...took my 8 Plus to Apple store and they saw the dead pixel. For some reason though when they looked up my serial number, Apple “flagged” my phone to be sent in to replace the screen. Because of that, they could not do an in-store repair...what???

Has this happened to anyone else? Sorry but I’ll live with a dead pixel on my screen...I don’t want to get a loaner phone and deal with that hassle.
You shouldn't be frustrated that Apple is honoring it's warranty and providing good customer service to you. Either you want it fixed correctly in a way that continues the warranty, or you don't.

Reactions: moldy lunchbox

GomerBoy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
You shouldn't be frustrated that Apple is honoring it's warranty and providing good customer service to you. Either you want it fixed correctly in a way that continues the warranty, or you don't.
No the guy at the Apple Store specifically told me that they would’ve been able to do an “in store repair” right then and there...easy and done. But Apple flagged my phone and they could never override it...my only option was to send it in to Apple headquarters for a repair, but I’m not doing that. That’s stupid...it’s just a screen replacement that can be done in store. Whatever.

Shadowbech

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2011
Apple iPhone World
No the guy at the Apple Store specifically told me that they would’ve been able to do an “in store repair” right then and there...easy and done. But Apple flagged my phone and they could never override it...my only option was to send it in to Apple headquarters for a repair, but I’m not doing that. That’s stupid...it’s just a screen replacement that can be done in store. Whatever.
Have you ever considered buying a cheap temporary iPhone for the time being while it's being sent for repair and once you receive it you can always return it as long as it's within the return period?

GomerBoy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
Have you ever considered buying a cheap temporary iPhone for the time being while it's being sent for repair and once you receive it you can always return it as long as it's within the return period?
That’s too much of a hassle just for one dead pixel. I’ll live with it for another year until I upgrade.

ross1998

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2013
That’s too much of a hassle just for one dead pixel. I’ll live with it for another year until I upgrade.
Why was it "flagged"? Call some over the phone and get a supervisor and see if they can unflag you or send you a replacement and your send them your phone back once you get the replacement.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Strange. I have never heard of a phone being ‘flagged’, and Apple doesn’t send Phones into headquarters. They send their phones to a repair depot if necessary, but I would have sought more clarification as to why they would not repair the display in store. None of this really makes sense.

Also, For the record, Apple could have actually provided you a loaner phone/warranty device to use while your original phone was being repaired, they have done so for me in the past as an offering.