Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chosenwolf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Today I noticed that there is a dead pixel on the bottom left hand side of my display. I haven't really noticed it and it doesn't bother me, but whenever I spot it, I get upset.

Is it worth complaining to Apple for 1 dead pixel? I have never had issues with dead pixels until this MBP. If the pixel is merely stuck, is there a way to fix/repair it?

SpankyPenzaanz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2006
you can complain but they will say let it be - my powerbook frrom 4yrs ago got a few dead pixel about a month afterwards and i learned to ignore it - if there are quite a few then you need to find the right person to complain to

Yoursh

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
MN
Depends on how picky you want to be.

Does it get in the way of running any apps. you use? From what i've read on the forums, Apple may not change it out if it's not an obstruction issue. I've got 1 dead pixal on my Macbook and it doesn't bother me. It's in the lower right side, on the edge of the dock. I don't notice it if I'm not looking for it. I can only see it if I'm within 12 inch. of the screen. My normal viewing distance is 16+ away.

As I said, It just depends if your a stickler for this type of thing. Do you have any other issues with the unit? If you swap it out you risk getting another one with a dead pixal or other problem. I'd say just way your options.

Yoursh

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
MN
how do you check for dead pixels?

My method: At white boot screen, I put my nose right at the lcd and scanned across and down looking for either pixals of the wrong color(stuck pixals) or black(dead pixals).

Another method is to use a solid color(prerferably white) screensaver.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
wickedG35 said:
Today I noticed that there is a dead pixel on the bottom left hand side of my display. I haven't really noticed it and it doesn't bother me, but whenever I spot it, I get upset.

Is it worth complaining to Apple for 1 dead pixel? I have never had issues with dead pixels until this MBP. If the pixel is merely stuck, is there a way to fix/repair it?
Try giving it a firm yet gentle massage,with soft cloth etc, sometimes they can be rubbed in to work again. Sometimes not.

rxl125

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2006
take it back! YOu have to be firm... Never buy from apple, go to Comp usa... they have a no questions asked return policy... Shame on apple for their return policy

chosenwolf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
Los Angeles
meepm00pmeep said:
how do you check for dead pixels?

Pixel Test V1.2 is what I used and it is a very good tool. Usually, when you do the white test you will discover the dead pixels (if any) easiest.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
rxl125 said:
take it back! YOu have to be firm... Never buy from apple, go to Comp usa... they have a no questions asked return policy... Shame on apple for their return policy
Once the box is opened, they can't sell it as new anymore. Also, nearly every manufacturer that sells LCDs won't repair or return for one dead/stuck pixel.

OP: Since you said you don't really notice it, continue doing so.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Dont Hurt Me said:
Try giving it a firm yet gentle massage,with soft cloth etc, sometimes they can be rubbed in to work again. Sometimes not.
This can work, but it is less effective with the current Apples. The screen is too protected and hard to press on. The cloth is just to keep smudges off, you could press with your naked :eek: finger.

xJulianx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2006
Brighton, UK
MACDRIVE said:
I don't know what a dead pixel looks like, but I don't think I would want one on the screen of a $2000+ machine. Take the machine back!

A single dead pixel is within specification, Apple do not make their LCD screens, it is a global understanding with all manufacturers that any less than 5 dead pixels, is NOT grounds to return an item, any more, and they will replace it.

Of course this is only a rough rule, if the dead pixel was right in the middle of your screen, they might exchange it, even though, technically, they would not have to.

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
My PowerBook had a stuck red pixel (middle-top). Apple replaced it.

Replacement also had a stuck red pixel (also middle-top). Again Apple replaced it.

Third machine was, and still is perfect. This was two and a half years ago. At one point I had all three PowerBooks in my office; I rang Apple to ask if they wanted them back........ "er, yes, maybe". Eventually they were collected.

Give Apple a call, be nice but firm. You never know. ;)

chosenwolf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Southernboy said:
My PowerBook had a stuck red pixel (middle-top). Apple replaced it.

Replacement also had a stuck red pixel (also middle-top). Again Apple replaced it.

Third machine was, and still is perfect. This was two and a half years ago. At one point I had all three PowerBooks in my office; I rang Apple to ask if they wanted them back........ "er, yes, maybe". Eventually they were collected.

Give Apple a call, be nice but firm. You never know. ;)

Thanks, I think I will give them a ring. BTW, this is my 2nd machine (1st one had to be replaced since it would not wake up from sleep mode). Ugh, I don't want to be without it again for a month. Grrrrrrrrrr.....

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Considering your 17" MBP has 1.7 million pixels, I don't think Apple's going to replace it over 1 single dead pixel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.