Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chompineer

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 31, 2020
Ontario
Wondering if anyone has had a 2018 pro replaced for a dead pixel?

my warranty expires in July and I seem to have just had a pixel die on me in a rather annoying spot

I was going to just send it in online, but noticed there is a little quip about potentially being charged a fee if the device wasn’t deemed to need repair, and I can’t seem to find anything specific about dead pixels, and when filing an online claim there’s no way to specify my exact issue.

I have a downtime of 2 weeks between semesters coming up and that would be about perfect to send her in.

I’ve never had to warranty any of my Apple devices before, so this is new to me.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
It would be better to take it to an Apple store but since all stores are closed, you can take a chance and send it in for repair or replacement. You shouldn't be charged even if they refuse to repair it since your warranty is still good until July. Or, you can wait it out until the Apple stores are open again. It's always best to deal with someone live rather than on line.

Reactions: tranceking26

Chompineer

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 31, 2020
Ontario
It would be better to take it to an Apple store but since all stores are closed, you can take a chance and send it in for repair or replacement. You shouldn't be charged even if they refuse to repair it since your warranty is still good until July. Or, you can wait it out until the Apple stores are open again. It's always best to deal with someone live rather than on line.

Closest Apple store to me is a 14 hour drive.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
That's a long drive. How about an Apple Authorized Service Repair? Is there one near you? Most of those are staying open. They are authorized to do warranty work and replacements same as Apple.

Reactions: tranceking26

Chompineer

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 31, 2020
Ontario
That's a long drive. How about an Apple Authorized Service Repair? Is there one near you? Most of those are staying open. They are authorized to do warranty work and replacements same as Apple.

Our only one is actually the tech store in my university, which is ordered closed until September.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Looks like your only choice then is to send it on in for repair. I honestly don't know if Apple will repair it. Dead pixels are a judgement thing at Apple. Sometimes they will repair or replace the device and other times they will not. It can be a crap shoot. You really should give Apple support a call first and see what they say before you send it on in.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Looks like your only choice then is to send it on in for repair. I honestly don't know if Apple will repair it. Dead pixels are a judgement thing at Apple. Sometimes they will repair or replace the device and other times they will not. It can be a crap shoot. You really should give Apple support a call first and see what they say before you send it on in.
Repair roulette?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.