Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applefanboy8153

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
Hi, I got a new MacBook Pro retina display, 13 (Early 2013) in march. I have noticed a dead pixel that sits right in middle of the screen. I thought it was just a dust particle at first, but when i took a screenshot, it shows up on that too. I want to conform that it is a hardware issue before taking it too apple, please help.
Screen Shot 2013-04-25 at 1.11.12 PM.png

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Hi, I got a new MacBook Pro retina display, 13 (Early 2013) in march. I have noticed a dead pixel that sits right in middle of the screen. I thought it was just a dust particle at first, but when i took a screenshot, it shows up on that too. I want to conform that it is a hardware issue before taking it too apple, please help.
View attachment 409513

If you take a screenshot and it shows it there it means you DO NOT have a dead pixel, more like GPU related.

Reason I say this, your eyes are seeing the screen and it's pixels, the screenshot is taken from the GPU output, NOT from the screen itself.

Don't see it either in screenshot.

Zeov

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2011
Odense
Did you just upload a screendump of a dead pixel?

sigh..

the reason you can see it on the picture is because your screen still has a dead pixel.

lol

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
OP, take a picture of the image, since the dead pixel is on your machine, a screen shot will not depict it as it does not capture the dead pixel.

If the dead pixel is bothering that much and its within the return period, exchange the laptop. You either need to learn to live with it, or exchange it.

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
take it to apple, theyre replacing my entire top lid and screen for a single dead pixel. mine non retina though so its maybe more noticeable than yours?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
as Queen6 stated lets not attack or insult the member. He's asking for help so lets provide the help without any comments about his posting of a screen shot.

macalec

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
If the screen shot showed the missing spot as well, then it is most likely a graphics issue. I would take it to the Apple Store, especially since it is so new. This might lead to more issues with the graphics card.

koulmj

Suspended
Mar 18, 2013
well but this does indicate that it's dead pixal, a physical problem with the Screen not something going on in the software. i would try to return/exchange

Last edited by a moderator:

jypatl

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2012
Go ahead and take it in. I did it with my retina and they fixed it the next day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.