Dead pixel line.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by benduncan, Apr 6, 2009.

1. benduncan macrumors newbie

Hey, Iv got a black macbook. I got it 2 years ago (I think). Its the Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz version.

Iv just turned it on and there is a horizontal dead pixel line across the top of the screen. Iv tried restarting the laptop but that didn't help, when I turn the screen off with the Shift CTRL eject shortcut it doesn't go off properly and I can see a ghost image of what was on the screen.

Is there anything I can do to fix it or is the LCD screen on its way out?

2. snessiram macrumors member

I've no idea about the dead pixels, but doesn't Shift Ctrl Eject turns off the screen illumination, not the screen itself? (thus still displaying the content, which is then viewable in some light conditions) If so... this would be the "ghosting" you speak off...

3. benduncan thread starter macrumors newbie

well when i press the keyboard shortcut to turn the screen off i see the ghost image then it turns itself off completely after 10-15 seconds

4. Darkroom Guest

Darkroom

it's your graphics card, not your screen. have it replaced.

5. benduncan thread starter macrumors newbie

how can I do that? I thought the graphics cards in macbooks were soldered onto the motherboard.

6. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

...by Apple. They'll replace the whole board the integrated graphics chip is on, if indeed that's the problem. If you don't have apple care it may not be worth it. Good luck.

7. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

If you have Applecare take it in or call them. If you don't, you're screwed and you'll either have to live with it, or sell it and get a new one because Apple charges insanely high $$ for repairs.