Dead Pixel on iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ForumViewer, Mar 4, 2011.

1. ForumViewer macrumors member

I've had my iPad for a while now and it's recently developed a dead pixel. I only notice it when the screen is black...the pixel is white and to me sticks out like a sore thumb.

The iPad is still under warranty obviously. I was thinking of taking it into an Apple store but what are the odds they'll replace it? Is it worth my time? This has nothing to do with trying to get an iPad 2 or anything like that, I just want my original replaced or fixed.

I've seen reports of how the iPad should have 3 or more or something to that affect to warrant a replacement, while other places say it just depends on the person you talk to and the mood they happen to be in.

Thoughts, experience?

2. ForumViewer thread starter macrumors member

Well, I have good news to report.

After a little more research and coming up empty, I just called Apple Care and set up a case number with them. I explained the situation and the person I spoke with took down my problem and info and scheduled me an appointment at my local Apple Store. Took it in, the guy looked at it and remarked that they don't typically replace units with only one dead pixel. Then he appeared to read the notes from the case number off his iPhone, then said, "I'll be right back, gotta go grab you a fresh unit."

The new iPad he replaced the old one with didn't come in a retail box however. It came in a regular cardboard box, similar to how Kindle's come packaged. I asked if it was brand new or a refurb and he said it was brand new and only comes packaged like that so it can be easily swapped out when need be. So, he took my old one, I took the new and I was on my way in about 15 minutes.

After around 10 months of solid use and ONE dead pixel later, Apple happily replaced my 16GB WiFi iPad.

It's customer service like this that keeps me loyal to Apple and their wares. Love it.

3. djearlybird macrumors regular

Thats great to hear, finally a warranty actually covered something. Seems everytime I buy an "extended" warranty, the thing I need fixed isn't cover. Congrats.

4. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

Warranty coverage?

Are you saying that in your experience Apple doesn't honor it's warranties or are you talking about other companies? You should make this very clear.

5. djearlybird macrumors regular

I have been buying Apple/Macintosh products since 1992. I have had good and bad experiences with warranties through them. I no longer buy AppleCare when buying new products.