Dead pixel on iPhone 4S - can I exchange?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by slapple, Nov 30, 2011.

1. slapple macrumors 6502

I used one of those flashlight apps to turn my iPhone 4S screen all white, and I see there's a tiny black spot on the screen - a dead pixel. Will they let me do an exchange because of a dead pixel? I ordered it from the Apple Store, so would I have to do the exchange at the Apple Store, or could I do it at a Verizon store too?

I wonder if I'd even be able to do an exchange, because neither the Apple Store nor a Verizon store would have any iPhone 4S's in stock, right? How does that work then, do you have to place an order for a replacement phone?

2. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Is there any way you could avoid looking at your bright white screen and seeing the offending pixel when in the flashlight mode?

It is the only time you would see it.:eek:

3. Gurn Blanston macrumors newbie

I bought my 4S at the Apple store, and I had to replace it for a couple of issues. The night before I did the exchange, I reserved the same model of iPhone through the Apple Store app at 9:00 pm. The next day I went into the store and told a rep that I had a phone on reserve and that I wanted to return my current phone because of its issues and purchase the replacement that I put on reserve. The rep handled the return/purchase very quickly, and I didn't have to reset my upgrade eligibility with AT&T: the Apple rep was able to handle everything (I was concerned that I'd have to call AT&T after the return, have them reset the upgrade, then purchase the new phone).

I did it this way instead of going through the genius bar because there's a chance that the genius won't agree that the phone has an issue and refuse to replace it. Of course, I was within the return window.

You might have to make a few attempts at reserving the phone until the Apple store has the model that you want in stock, but from what I've seen, the stores are not as tightly constrained on supply lately.

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

They will exchange for 1 dead pixel. iPads I think require 3 dead pixels to qualify for exchange, iPhones only need 1.

5. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

6. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Don't know what the policy is there, but my iPad 2 had 1 dead pixel and the shop exchanged it immediately.

7. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Non sequiter, but I used to occasionally fly an airplane called 87AV (87 Alpha Victor).

8. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

HA thats crazy! thats just my birth year and initials that i decided to .... wordify :D

9. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Call apple and Verizon and ask them.

10. slapple thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh and I can do it within one year, not just 30 days, right? Maybe I'll wait until the stores have them in stock.

11. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

You can absolutely go in and replace your iPhone. A dead pixel (even if only seen in very specific conditions is a hardware defect nonetheless. I had this happen on the original iPhone years back in 2007. When the screen was black, a stubborn Blue pixel would light up for no apparent reason. Only when the screen was black, though. Apple store exchanged the iPhone right away.

I'm not sure how it will work considering that there are still supply constraints. But I'm sure there's some way.

12. guinness8878 macrumors member

guinness8878

I'm not even sure what a dead pixel looks like, but I see a black spot on my screen as well. I just received it as a replacement, is that what a dead pixel looks like? It's a very faint dark spot that doesn't move at all, I can even see it behind a picture in my photo album. Could it be anything else?

13. nmork macrumors regular

Yeah, that sounds like a dead pixel. I'd take it in.

14. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

You can buy spare pixels on Ebay, I bought one recently and the seller gave me 3 spares for free. I left neg feedback though as he sent them in a white envelope and I couldn't find them.

15. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

You just can trust anyopne on eBay. How much did he charge for the pixels. I would not mind getting a few just to keep for spares.

16. Macdude2010 macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

I have the same problem with mine, I have a black 64GB AT&T with Applecare + with a dead pixel in the top right corner, REALLY ANNOYING FOR A $950 off contract phone, should they replace it for me and have you had a dead pixel, if so, what is your genius experience?

17. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Yes, as they said above, they will replace it. It's a electronic device. Sometimes things happen. Ferrari's have minor hiccups, does that mean they are crap?

18. Macdude2010 macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

I sure hope, because my results with geniuses have varied, where sometimes they say they won't replace when there obviously was a defect, I just hope they will replace it for me, because that clearly is a defect

19. miragebg macrumors 6502a

I am wondering why you haven't exchange it until now, there had been more than two months you started to complain about this.
    Everytime you are asking us if you have to exchange your phone - in already 10 or 20 posts- all the same, but in fact this is your phone and you have to make this decision- I din't understand what are you expecting from us? We just cannot exchange it for you..

20. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

He might have agoraphobia. Only reason I can think of doing what he has done.

21. Macdude2010 macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

First of all, I have only posted 3 times on the issue over the last 2 months, each time I have asked a different question that was worded differently, I'm not asking for anyone to exchange it for me or if i should exchange it, I am asking for other peoples experiences so i dont go through multiple replacements and if they SHOULD change it for me, hope this clears everything up

22. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

It boggles my mind that you would hold onto a phone for 2+ months with an issue that is obviously driving you crazy. You take the time to post about it numerous times when all you have to do is walk into an Apple store, get a replacement, and walk out. Problem solved. I don't understand what you are looking for?

23. miragebg macrumors 6502a

This is just a small part of your posts...
    This seems normal to you?
    I do understand you ,I am sometimes like this, but so many similar posts, you just have to relax and enjoy your phone! If not, just don't buy Apple again, if this is capable of destroying your life..

24. Leonard1818, Feb 7, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2012

Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

what's a good flashlight app that turns the screen all white?

nevermind. found one.