Dead pixel on iPhone 4S - can I exchange?

slapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
I used one of those flashlight apps to turn my iPhone 4S screen all white, and I see there's a tiny black spot on the screen - a dead pixel. Will they let me do an exchange because of a dead pixel? I ordered it from the Apple Store, so would I have to do the exchange at the Apple Store, or could I do it at a Verizon store too?

I wonder if I'd even be able to do an exchange, because neither the Apple Store nor a Verizon store would have any iPhone 4S's in stock, right? How does that work then, do you have to place an order for a replacement phone?

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
Is there any way you could avoid looking at your bright white screen and seeing the offending pixel when in the flashlight mode?

It is the only time you would see it.:eek:

Gurn Blanston

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2011
I bought my 4S at the Apple store, and I had to replace it for a couple of issues. The night before I did the exchange, I reserved the same model of iPhone through the Apple Store app at 9:00 pm. The next day I went into the store and told a rep that I had a phone on reserve and that I wanted to return my current phone because of its issues and purchase the replacement that I put on reserve. The rep handled the return/purchase very quickly, and I didn't have to reset my upgrade eligibility with AT&T: the Apple rep was able to handle everything (I was concerned that I'd have to call AT&T after the return, have them reset the upgrade, then purchase the new phone).

I did it this way instead of going through the genius bar because there's a chance that the genius won't agree that the phone has an issue and refuse to replace it. Of course, I was within the return window.

You might have to make a few attempts at reserving the phone until the Apple store has the model that you want in stock, but from what I've seen, the stores are not as tightly constrained on supply lately.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Call apple and Verizon and ask them.

slapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
They will exchange for 1 dead pixel. iPads I think require 3 dead pixels to qualify for exchange, iPhones only need 1.
Oh and I can do it within one year, not just 30 days, right? Maybe I'll wait until the stores have them in stock.

AIP5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
I used one of those flashlight apps to turn my iPhone 4S screen all white, and I see there's a tiny black spot on the screen - a dead pixel. Will they let me do an exchange because of a dead pixel?
You can absolutely go in and replace your iPhone. A dead pixel (even if only seen in very specific conditions is a hardware defect nonetheless. I had this happen on the original iPhone years back in 2007. When the screen was black, a stubborn Blue pixel would light up for no apparent reason. Only when the screen was black, though. Apple store exchanged the iPhone right away.

I'm not sure how it will work considering that there are still supply constraints. But I'm sure there's some way.

guinness8878

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2009
I'm not even sure what a dead pixel looks like, but I see a black spot on my screen as well. I just received it as a replacement, is that what a dead pixel looks like? It's a very faint dark spot that doesn't move at all, I can even see it behind a picture in my photo album. Could it be anything else?

nmork

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2011
Under your bed.
I'm not even sure what a dead pixel looks like, but I see a black spot on my screen as well. I just received it as a replacement, is that what a dead pixel looks like? It's a very faint dark spot that doesn't move at all, I can even see it behind a picture in my photo album. Could it be anything else?
Yeah, that sounds like a dead pixel. I'd take it in.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
You can buy spare pixels on Ebay, I bought one recently and the seller gave me 3 spares for free. I left neg feedback though as he sent them in a white envelope and I couldn't find them.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
You can buy spare pixels on Ebay, I bought one recently and the seller gave me 3 spares for free. I left neg feedback though as he sent them in a white envelope and I couldn't find them.
You just can trust anyopne on eBay. How much did he charge for the pixels. I would not mind getting a few just to keep for spares.

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
I have the same problem with mine, I have a black 64GB AT&T with Applecare + with a dead pixel in the top right corner, REALLY ANNOYING FOR A $950 off contract phone, should they replace it for me and have you had a dead pixel, if so, what is your genius experience?

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
I have the same problem with mine, I have a black 64GB AT&T with Applecare + with a dead pixel in the top right corner, REALLY ANNOYING FOR A $950 off contract phone, should they replace it for me and have you had a dead pixel, if so, what is your genius experience?
Yes, as they said above, they will replace it. It's a electronic device. Sometimes things happen. Ferrari's have minor hiccups, does that mean they are crap?

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
Yes, as they said above, they will replace it. It's a electronic device. Sometimes things happen. Ferrari's have minor hiccups, does that mean they are crap?
I sure hope, because my results with geniuses have varied, where sometimes they say they won't replace when there obviously was a defect, I just hope they will replace it for me, because that clearly is a defect

miragebg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2009
I am wondering why you haven't exchange it until now, there had been more than two months you started to complain about this.
Everytime you are asking us if you have to exchange your phone - in already 10 or 20 posts- all the same, but in fact this is your phone and you have to make this decision- I din't understand what are you expecting from us? We just cannot exchange it for you..

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
I am wondering why you haven't exchange it until now, there had been more than two months you started to complain about this.
Everytime you are asking us if you have to exchange your phone - in already 10 or 20 posts- all the same, but in fact this is your phone and you have to make this decision- I din't understand what are you expecting from us? We just cannot exchange it for you..
He might have agoraphobia. Only reason I can think of doing what he has done.

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
First of all, I have only posted 3 times on the issue over the last 2 months, each time I have asked a different question that was worded differently, I'm not asking for anyone to exchange it for me or if i should exchange it, I am asking for other peoples experiences so i dont go through multiple replacements and if they SHOULD change it for me, hope this clears everything up

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
First of all, I have only posted 3 times on the issue over the last 2 months, each time I have asked a different question that was worded differently, I'm not asking for anyone to exchange it for me or if i should exchange it, I am asking for other peoples experiences so i dont go through multiple replacements and if they SHOULD change it for me, hope this clears everything up
It boggles my mind that you would hold onto a phone for 2+ months with an issue that is obviously driving you crazy. You take the time to post about it numerous times when all you have to do is walk into an Apple store, get a replacement, and walk out. Problem solved. I don't understand what you are looking for?

miragebg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2009

My phone has the same issue, but I am going to replace it for a dead pixel.

Is it worth exchanging for a dead pixel?
Well, how many other people here have dead pixels or any other defect? I just am really having a hard time trying to decide what to do. Especially because the first phone I had also had a pixel defect, but it was 2 clumps of green stuck pixels. I just hope I can make up my mind soon
It's a really hard decision to make, but it is hard to justify keeping a $500 on contract phone with pixel defects, I also have OCD (real OCD not what people here have), so I am having a hard time deciding what I want to do
So, I just noticed one stuck green pixel (only on black screen) and one dead pixel on my 1 1/2 month old iPhone 4S. I had to exchange my first iPhone 4S for 2 stuck pixels (not sure if any were dead). I also have seen people that have returned several iPhones for the pixels also. So are the pixels that uncommon? I really don't want to replace if it is going to take a few tries to get one without screen defects. They are barley noticeable but still bother me a little bit.
Ya, the only problem with my phone is the uneven backlight, the color is neutral, no visible LEDs or flickering, it also has no vibrate buzz or anything else like that, think I should keep this one?
Anyone think I should try a replacement, my screen has a bit of uneven backlight (not the worst, mainly just one darker spot) but there is nothing else wrong with my phone, any people successfully return and get a phone with a uniform (neutral) screen or completely perfect iPhone.

I agree quality control has gone down this year
Any one else have this issue? I am thinking about exchanging (anyone else have a good exchange)
This issue is really annoying for me. I have a bit of electronic OCD. My home button moves around, anyone replace and have a better one? I have the entire month to decide, guess I should see if it keeps annoying me and exchange based on that. But I didn't just pay $500 for a phone that feels like it was made improperly (if this is a defect)
anyone else have this issue, It is really annoying, i don't know if i want to go for a replacement
I am at 37% on a DNP

3 Hours, 56 Minutes Usage

5 Hours, 51 Minutes Standby

I just got this one today as my first iPhone, only problem is that it has a stuck pixel on darker backgrounds. Going to see if I can get a Brand New Box Replacement when I am near there on Tuesday (Should be able to because of the 14 Days).

Anyone think this is average or is it bad?
Also, anyone have any dead/stuck pixels on their screen?

This is just a small part of your posts...
This seems normal to you?
I do understand you ,I am sometimes like this, but so many similar posts, you just have to relax and enjoy your phone! If not, just don't buy Apple again, if this is capable of destroying your life..

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
what's a good flashlight app that turns the screen all white?

nevermind. found one.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.