Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Davewithak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
I just got my iPhone 5 on Friday, I love it, it's gorgeous. However, this morning while watching a YouTube video, I noticed a tiny (literally) problem. A small, dead, black pixel in the middle of my screen. At first I thought it was dirt or dust, so I tried wiping it off, scratching it off, etc. but no luck. I then tried resetting the device, color cycling it, and pressing on the screen, but still no luck. I've read on here and Apple's forums that Apple Stores usually replace screens/phones with dead pixel with no hesitation. I would love to take it to a Genius and have him or her fix it for me, but unfortunately the nearest Apple Store is 3 1/2 hours away. So, I'm not sure what to do. I know, it's a tiny speck and it shouldn't bother me, but it does.

Any ideas/suggestions of what to do?

Edit: Here are some pictures:

doi5T.jpg

XmpeE.jpg

piq1n.jpg

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
personally it would annoy me, so I would get it replaced. being it is a new phone they will probably swap it out instead of repairing it.

edit: just looking at that photo, I may hold off haha

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
You need to replace the whole LCD-screen - there is no "simple fix".

I suggest you return it, but that'll take some weeks for you to get a new one, probably.

MMM.PWR

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Milwaukee
wait a few weeks and have apple ship you a new one, after sending yours back. or.. drive to the store, and hope they have in stock.

Davewithak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
Do you think the Verizon store would replace it? There's one about 30 minutes away and I bought the phone from Verizon. I can't drive 3 1/2 hours to the Apple Store and I doubt Apple is going to send me a new phone just because I call them and tell them this one has a dead pixel.

ProudLoz

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
Do you think the Verizon store would replace it? There's one about 30 minutes away and I bought the phone from Verizon. I can't drive 3 1/2 hours to the Apple Store and I doubt Apple is going to send me a new phone just because I call them and tell them this one has a dead pixel.

I had the same problem with my iPhone 4S and my iPad 3. I highly recommend you wait at least a month before you try to go to the Apple Store and replace it. This way, they have the proper stock and all the refurbished units are free of problems.

I had to replace my iPad 3 four times until I finally got one without any dead pixels.

Electa

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
My phone has the very same thing. I am going to get my phone replaced it as soon as Apple gets more stock ha ha.

Davewithak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
I had the same problem with my iPhone 4S and my iPad 3. I highly recommend you wait at least a month before you try to go to the Apple Store and replace it. This way, they have the proper stock and all the refurbished units are free of problems.

I had to replace my iPad 3 four times until I finally got one without any dead pixels.

Will they replace it in a month? I just assumed that after the 14 day return policy is up, they wouldn't.

I feel like I'm being a little too anal about it, but it's all I can focus on while using the phone :(.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
I had this problem with my iPad 3 too.
Dead pixel suddenly appears. Trip to the store. They give me a new one. Back at home I find dust under the screen. Back to the store. New one. Open it right there and another dead pixel. New one. Dust. New one. Pristine. Back home.

Just to clarify. This happened to me like 3 months after original purchase.

Davewithak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
Well, I just got off of the phone with Apple. They're going to send me a box, so I can send them the phone, so that they can repair or replace it. It kinda sucks I just got this beautiful device and I'm already losing it. I'm almost tempted to cancel the repair and just deal with the tiny speck. :( I don't really like risking any damage being done to the iPhone, other than the pixel.

Textureboy

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
Well, I just got off of the phone with Apple. They're going to send me a box, so I can send them the phone, so that they can repair or replace it. It kinda sucks I just got this beautiful device and I'm already losing it. I'm almost tempted to cancel the repair and just deal with the tiny speck. :( I don't really like risking any damage being done to the iPhone, other than the pixel.

If they're going to ship you a new one then just keep your current one. Check the shipment order so you can keep your current one until your next one arrives. Thats how it worked for my rMBP but idk how they process the iPhone's.

Good luck on your exchange mate, just bad luck.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Are you near a store? If so, they may be able to swap it out. Stores sometimes have replacement stock even if phones aren't available for sale.

bacano22

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
I just got my iPhone 5 on Friday, I love it, it's gorgeous. However, this morning while watching a YouTube video, I noticed a tiny (literally) problem. A small, dead, black pixel in the middle of my screen. At first I thought it was dirt or dust, so I tried wiping it off, scratching it off, etc. but no luck. I then tried resetting the device, color cycling it, and pressing on the screen, but still no luck. I've read on here and Apple's forums that Apple Stores usually replace screens/phones with dead pixel with no hesitation. I would love to take it to a Genius and have him or her fix it for me, but unfortunately the nearest Apple Store is 3 1/2 hours away. So, I'm not sure what to do. I know, it's a tiny speck and it shouldn't bother me, but it does.

Any ideas/suggestions of what to do?

My cousin had the same problem, make an appointment at the apple store go with box and all accessories and ask for a brand new one ,the gave him a brand new one, no refurbished

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
The new screens are very easy to replace (unlike the 4 and 4S), so the Apple store will almost certainly not give you a new or refurb phone, but will likely replace the screen. I'd wait a month or so, bring it in to an Apple store (your warranty is still 1 year...) and they'll likely replace the screen for you on the spot. Looking at the iFixit teardown, a screen replacement on this phone will be very, very easy (if I ever shatter my screen, I'm just going to buy the replacement screen and do it myself).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.