Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dannewell15

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2007
I have had my macbook since Thursday 12th April and it already has a dead pixel. WTF?! I downloaded a tester and set it to solid colour and this one pixel stays put. Is there any way to fix it/get rid of it? It isn't easily noticeable but I know that it is there which makes it worse. Any thoughts?

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Your kidding me right?

I got mine fixed after having 14 dead and mine were way noticeable. I think you can surivive with one pixel being dead. You cantry PixelFix widget.

mags631

Mar 6, 2007
Your kidding me right?

I got mine fixed after having 14 dead and mine were way noticeable. I think you can surivive with one pixel being dead. You cantry PixelFix widget.

Why would one have to put up with any stuck pixels? I ask because I'm buying a MBP soon and I know that I would take it back if I had any.

Mpulsive81

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2006
McKinney, TX
I wasn't aware there was a "pixel rule" That's pretty crappy imo. I mean, if someone pays for something, it should be right. If it's not right, ethicallly the originator should make it right. Maybe I'm old school, but that's my .02. From a corporate standpoint, however, I can understand why something of that nature would have to be in place. A company wouldn't be profitable if they had to fix every single thing for every single customer. We, the knit-picky people that we are (ESPECIALLY myself included), would hound them anytime ANYTHING went wrong, and GOD FORBID we get to do it for 3 years (a la AppleCare), causing them to have to increase their workforce listen to me complain to on top of eating the cost of part replacement and lets not forget the labor and potential overtime costs that pay and feed the technicians families for doing the repair. Is it right? Not in my opinion. I think that a company should stand behind their products 100% and not make "rules and loopholes" to get around having to make things right when a product isn't. No one ever said I liked corporate america though. A perfect example of this is when you have "service advisories" vs. full blown "recalls" on cars. It takes a overwhelming series of complaints before a company will acknowledge any fault in their products or themselves and eat the cost to make it right. (Microsoft Xbox 360's ring of death or power supply malfunction anyone?)

I've found that, as a consumer, standing up and explaining your situation is key to getting the satisfaction you deserve. Should you have to live with 1 dead pixel? I don't think so. Even if you can't see it, it shouldn't have been there. But if there is a "pixel rule", in theory you would be SOL. But if you purchased this thing with a dead pixel, which in this case you DID, (and even if you didn't...shut up, yes you did!!) I would see no reason why they wouldn't be able to swap it out for one that was working correctly from the start.

My advice, give em a call or go to the apple store you purchased it from (assuming that's what you did) and talk to them. Dont' go in there ranting and fuming, but explain that you're disappointed that you purchased a defective product (yes it was!) AND THIS WAS YOUR FIRST EXPERIENCE WITH AN APPLE COMPUTER. (shut up, yes it is!!) My guess is that they would like to make it right with you, because Apple computers is all about "switchers". And what happens if people stopped switching? Well...the Apple sits in the fridge and rots.

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I wasn't aware there was a "pixel rule" That's pretty crappy imo. I mean, if someone pays for something, it should be right. If it's not right, ethicallly the originator should make it right. Maybe I'm old school, but that's my .02. From a corporate standpoint, however, I can understand why something of that nature would have to be in place. A company wouldn't be profitable if they had to fix every single thing for every single customer. We, the knit-picky people that we are (ESPECIALLY myself included), would hound them anytime ANYTHING went wrong, and GOD FORBID we get to do it for 3 years (a la AppleCare), causing them to have to increase their workforce listen to me complain to on top of eating the cost of part replacement and lets not forget the labor and potential overtime costs that pay and feed the technicians families for doing the repair. Is it right? Not in my opinion. I think that a company should stand behind their products 100% and not make "rules and loopholes" to get around having to make things right when a product isn't. No one ever said I liked corporate america though. A perfect example of this is when you have "service advisories" vs. full blown "recalls" on cars. It takes a overwhelming series of complaints before a company will acknowledge any fault in their products or themselves and eat the cost to make it right. (Microsoft Xbox 360's ring of death or power supply malfunction anyone?)

I've found that, as a consumer, standing up and explaining your situation is key to getting the satisfaction you deserve. Should you have to live with 1 dead pixel? I don't think so. Even if you can't see it, it shouldn't have been there. But if there is a "pixel rule", in theory you would be SOL. But if you purchased this thing with a dead pixel, which in this case you DID, (and even if you didn't...shut up, yes you did!!) I would see no reason why they wouldn't be able to swap it out for one that was working correctly from the start.

My advice, give em a call or go to the apple store you purchased it from (assuming that's what you did) and talk to them. Dont' go in there ranting and fuming, but explain that you're disappointed that you purchased a defective product (yes it was!) AND THIS WAS YOUR FIRST EXPERIENCE WITH AN APPLE COMPUTER. (shut up, yes it is!!) My guess is that they would like to make it right with you, because Apple computers is all about "switchers". And what happens if people stopped switching? Well...the Apple sits in the fridge and rots.

You should also remember that all computer companies have a policy. There is a certain number where the pixels become a "malfuction" and qualify for a repair. For example, on my Canon Rebel XTi camera, a black dead pixel on the lcd is not classified as a system fault because they do not affect the image. Now white pixels are considered a system fault because they affect the image. If you have one dead or stuck pixel, so what... get over it! You stand no chance aginst Apple anyway. What is a person going to do... complain? Good luck, you'll get an apology, a foot in the ass and out the door you go.

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Why would one have to put up with any stuck pixels? I ask because I'm buying a MBP soon and I know that I would take it back if I had any.

You have a total of 14 days to take it back to Apple with out reason. If you notice them within that time period, you can give it right back to them.

BlackMax

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2007
North Carolina
I downloaded a tester and set it to solid colour and this one pixel stays put. Is there any way to fix it/get rid of it? It isn't easily noticeable but I know that it is there which makes it worse. Any thoughts?

This is exactly why I don't want to run a pixel tester on my 3 month old MacBook. It may very well have a bad pixel or two, but if I don't know about them they won't bother me.

It's true... ignorance IS bliss. :p

Mpulsive81

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2006
McKinney, TX
If you have one dead or stuck pixel, so what... get over it! You stand no chance aginst Apple anyway. What is a person going to do... complain? Good luck, you'll get an apology, a foot in the ass and out the door you go.

No company would withstand the test of time if it had that mindset. People I've talked to at Apple have been nothing but eager to rectify any situation I've had with my Macbook. That's why they have the reputation they do.

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
No company would withstand the test of time if it had that mindset. People I've talked to at Apple have been nothing but eager to rectify any situation I've had with my Macbook. That's why they have the reputation they do.

I'm not saying they are jerks, I am saying the Apple Stores and dealers have to follow Apple policy, so you will end up no where with 1 dead pixel.

jhande

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2006
Denmark
Heh, just yesterday I was wondering where all the pixel posts had gone. And Lo', there it is.

I must admit that I haven't tested my 6 month old MB for dead or paralyzed pixels, but as a previous poster pointed out, what I don't know won't .....:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.