Dead pixel on my new unibody macbook pro? great...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djvic87, Mar 21, 2009.

1. djvic87 macrumors regular

Sup again guys. Today is the first time I notice a dead pixel on the right side of the screen (from my 15 inch macbook pro). It seems to look like little red dot. It does not bother me as much, but I want to make sure that later on down the road, the screen does not get worse. I got the notebook on February 12th of 2009. Is it possible to get an exchangement of the LCD or of the whole notebook?

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Unfortunately not. Returns are only allowed within the 14 days of original date of purchase and maybe even a few days after that if there is a problem. Since it's almost been a month, the only thing you can try to do is setup a repair. 5 dead pixels is within spec so call up AppleCare and see what they're able to do for you.

3. NickM macrumors 6502

Convince 5 more pixels to stick, then just bring it back for an exchange or monitor replacement. :D

I finally just checked for dead pixels...luckily don't have any.
    I was kinda afraid to check, though. I'd much rather have one that I didn't notice or know about, than one that I knew about and would intentionally look at every 5 minutes. I know how aggravating that can be.
    Maybe try some pixel-unsticker programs?

4. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

Apple won't replace your screen unless you have 5 dead pixels or more.

5. djvic87 thread starter macrumors regular

I called Apple a couple of minutes ago. What got me confused was the fact that the guy told me that sometimes a pixel can be clustered with more than 5 and create a dot. Now that makes me worry more.

6. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

If you outside your 14-days then you'll have to live with it I'm afraid. If it is red all the time, then you have a stuck pixel. Good news - you can usually (not always though) massage it and try to "unstick" it. Check the methods here:

http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Stuck-Pixel-on-an-LCD-Monitor

Also, another one that might help is JScreenFix - it basically creates fuzzy noise with loads of changing colours, and might help unstick the pixel.

Not true - I had one dead pixel and Apple exchanged it.

7. RKpro macrumors 6502

If it's red, it's a stuck pixel. If it's black it's most likely a dead pixel. (or it's stuck on black) And dead pixels can't be fixed.

I've got my October MBP replaced in February because I had a dead pixel and squeaky hinge.

Just this morning a cluster of maybe 8 pixels became stuck on red/pink in the middle of my screen, I almost **** a brick.

I tried instructions from here, and it actually worked! But be careful with the "pixel massage" if you attempt, it could make it worse if you apply to much pressure, and don't use moisture.

note: I used the free JScreenFix applet, don't bother paying money for their deluxe software.

8. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

do you think that was because it was within the 14 days tho?

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well then you got very lucky. ;)

The advice given before was accurate though. Apple's policy is to not replace a screen unless there are a certain number of pixels. I actually had the previous copy of the policy given to employees/resellers by Apple, but that was from around 2004 or so, and the policy was not to replace or attempt to repair a screen unless it had 4 or more dead pixels.

If the number has increased to 5, then I didn't know that. However, there has always been a threshold.

10. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Thing is, production methods have improved, that to have 5 dead pixels "within spec" is ridiculous now. It used to be expensive to throw away panels with dead pixels, but now LCD's are in everything, it isn't as expensive as it was when LCD's were a luxury compared to the mass produced CRT's.

This 5 pixel rule has been around since Apple started using LCD's in their panels, and I think they really have to sharpen that rule up, if not just get rid of it. Paying the same price for a screen that has a black dot constantly as someone who doesn't.. times need to change ;)

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I never said it was a good policy. :p

Apple is all about their bottom line.

12. xoggyux macrumors 6502

I think its a little messed up that people pay ~400-1000 (or more) extra to get an apple machine and they that lack of service.

13. djvic87 thread starter macrumors regular

Putting pressure on the screen?! Won't i mess it up? Flickering program? Won't that do more damager on my screen?:confused: Thanks for your suggestion on that but I think I'm going to leave it the way it is because I don't want to make this worse or do something worse on my screen lol. I don't think I can trust myself in doing a great job For the most part the dot is very, very small. I just hope that this does not get worse later on down the road.

"I think its a little messed up that people pay ~400-1000 (or more) extra to get an apple machine and they that lack of service."

The real point is paying for a pricey notebook and encounter something like this to happen early as possible. It hasn't even been a year... I just hope this doesn't go anywhere worse.

14. xoggyux macrumors 6502

Scratch the pixel,
    You should not worry about making it worse... if you do make it worse, take it to apple and say its broken :D

15. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Very light pressure till you get the ripple effect. Support the screen with your hand mind. Try the tapping trick too.

Also, the Java script I linked you to (and RKpro) might do the trick too. Worth a bash.

16. zorahk macrumors 6502

17. mkvowner macrumors newbie

dead pixels

its actually not 5 dead/stuck = replacement, its more complicated than that...and don't massage too hard. breaking that glass is an $700 mistake!

18. paola105 macrumors 6502

paola105

I have a stuck red pixel on my MBP. I had my screen replaced twice and now I'm stuck with it. Sigh. I kind of wish more would pop up so I can get that replaced.
    Having stuck pixels sucks, but you get used to it.

19. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

It varies on the Apple Store employee, whether they exchange it or not. And we're lightly pressing on the glass, we're hardly going to break it ;)