Dead Pixel on New MBP 13" - Return Policy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cerebral, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Cerebral macrumors newbie

Hi all

I ordered a new MBP 13" and received it just over a week ago (8 days). I've unfortunately found a dead pixel on my screen. I know apple wont replace a laptop unless it has a certain amount, though im still within the 14 days of purchase so im wondering if this could get replaced?

However I bought my mbp from the online apple store, are you able to bring apple products to authorised resellers and support centres to get a replacement even if you didnt buy it from them? I only ask this as i live in australia and the closest official apple store is over an hour away.

I know its only one pixel...but these kind of things really annoy me.

Thanks

2. johnalan macrumors regular

I would ABSOLUTELY take it back without question!
    Within the 14 days there is nothing they can do to stop you, so even if they refuse a direct replacement (which they won't imho) , just return it and buy it again.

3. nomad421 macrumors member

Cerebral

When I purchased my 2006 MBP, I went through 4 before I got one without any dead pixels or non-conforming sub-pixels. I didn't buy it online, but I did perform exchanges at 4 different stores and, in total, went though 5 MBPs. I just took it into the store with all of the associated material and the receipt. Most stores let me exchange it without any issue. However, I must warn you that I found that the policy varies greatly between stores based upon the discretion of the manager. Some managers were very sympathetic to a single dead pixel, while others refused to perform an exchange unless the screen was more damaged. Luckily, this go-round with the 2010 MBP, I got a perfect screen the first time. If I were you, I'd try and take it to the store for an exchange; the worst they can do is say "no"; in which case you can just go to a different store, or as johnalan said, return it and re-purchase.

4. Ash9414 macrumors 6502

How do you know if your screen has a dead pixel, is it noticeable? I'm looking to buy a MBP 13" later this year, and I don't want this to happen to me, and me not noticing it! Any pictures?

5. johnalan macrumors regular

The way i checked this out on my new i5 macbook is basically this:

dead pixels will show up black all the time...
    stuck pixels (also bad) will show up the same colour all the time (could be any colour)

what you want: a perfect display that has neither of these issues.

best way to check: open up (or zoom in on) a large bright perfectly even red image (just google image the word red) and check the screen for any little dots or pixels that are not perfect red,

do the same with blue
    and the same with green,

these primary colours (when fullscreen) are very quick to show up any pixels not playing ball,

you can also do the same with white and black,

if you don't see any issues or pixels stuck or dead then your good.

6. nomad421 macrumors member

If you google for "dead pixel" and/or "non-conforming subpixel", you'll find plenty of images. I don't have any personally, because I exchanged all of those machines. A dead pixel is simply a pixel on the screen which is always black. A non-conforming sub-pixel (sometimes called a stuck pixel) is a pixel that is always displaying a single color (e.g. it's always red, regardless of the signal being sent to the screen). The above-mentioned google searches will also provide tools that will help you locate any dead or stuck pixels you may have, but if you're like me (or many others on these forums), you'll notice them almost immediately if you have them. To me, they just pop out, and are incredibly frustrating. However, everyone has a different level of sensitivity to these things, and some people don't notice them immediately (or at all).

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

Replacements/refunds need to come from the same company that you purchased from.

In regards to having it serviced, any authorized support center can do that.

Dead pixels suck. I was configuring some Dell laptops for work the other day and noticed that for US$79 more, you can chose a screen guaranteed to have no dead pixels. :confused:

8. johnalan macrumors regular

lol yeah brilliant isn't it,

"OH for just 79 dollars more i'll give you this product that's not slightly defective!! what an AMAZING DEAL!!!!!! HURRRY NOWWW"

makes me sick

9. Cerebral thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah mine is definitely a stuck pixel actually, it has a small pinkish tinge and then the other half of it is black, it is quite frustrating. Ill contact apple later on today. I tried used Jscreenfix but to no avail :(. Thanks for the replies :)

10. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

In the immortal words of 'half a shilling'-send the bugger back!

11. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty OCD about things, but dead pixels? I have a NEC 2690WUXi screen (IPS) which cost more than a 13" MBP at the time - It has a red.sub pixel that's on in the middle of the screen, but to be honest, it's really not an issue, not even for Lightroom photoeditting. I would pay more attention to which panel in the panel lottery that you received - if it was a good one then I would keep it despite the pixel...

12. King Apple macrumors regular

King Apple

13. Cerebral thread starter macrumors newbie

I called Apple support today and they said they wouldnt allow me to return it as a defective product because 1 pixel doesnt warrant DOA :(.

14. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

I mean if it's a dead pixel on an iPhone that's one thing because you're always going to be super close to it and have it bug you, but this is a 13" screen that has you focusing on a bunch of things. ONE dead/stuck pixel shouldn't bother you that much. I'm INTENSELY anal about my things being perfect and I have a couple dead pixels now on my 20" iMac, and they don't bother me too much.

BUT if it really does drive you totally bonkers than I guess you just have to go to the Genius Bar and see what they can do.

since you're in your 14 days you can just return it and buy another one...

15. Cerebral thread starter macrumors newbie

Though i bought this via the online store, can someone at the genius bar still replace your laptop even if you bought it online?

16. chkenwing macrumors regular

That's unfortunate for you that they won't allow an exchange for the dead pixel.

When I got my 2010 MBP 13", it was the first one to leave the store after the announcement of the refreshed models. I got home and discovered it had a stuck red pixel just off the centre.

Called up the store I got it from (they were an hour away so I wasn't going to drive back just to be told they won't) and they said it wasn't a problem.

I couldn't change it until a few days after since they ran out of stock.

The manager was more than happy to exchange it for me, and when I got the one I am now using, I checked it whilst I was in the store. Originally thought there was another stuck pixel. Turned out it was just a spec of dust. But the way they reacted, seemed like they would've probably pulled another one from the stock room until I was satisfied.

I guess, as previously stated, it is up to the discretion of the managers at the stores.

17. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

I ordered a CTO 15 MBP and was told by my business advisor to take it to the Genius Bar. Of course, I missed my appointment so will have to go back tomorrow. :(

I hope the genius replaces it without too much hassle (I have the yellow tint problem). :rolleyes: