Dead Pixel on new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dr Strangelove, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Dr Strangelove macrumors regular

Just received mine this evening and am very happy with the unit except for one small thing. There is a pixel stuck red on the screen that my eyes focus on every time I look at the screen now. I suppose one pixel is not that big of a deal but would it warrant an exchange on my part?

I bought the unit from Amazon.com.

2. UMHurricanes34 macrumors 65816

UMHurricanes34

I don't know the official policy, but every time I've dealt with any company on dead or stuck pixels there is usually a number of pixels that the user must have issues with to warrant a replacement. Not sure now as you may be able to get this fixed because we're all early adopters.

My 30" has one stuck red pixel, but I can live with it...I guess.

3. Dr Strangelove thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I am wondering if it is worth it to return this thing for a new one or not. It's not in the middle of the screen but now that I see it, I can't stop looking at the damn thing.

4. tbae12 macrumors member

I'd demand an exchange or something cause you didn't pay all that money to have a dead pixel on the screen.

5. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I would contact Amazon, it is quite possible that they have a better return policy for issues like this. But you will have to contact them for that information, or for exchange policies.

[​IMG]

6. Dr Strangelove thread starter macrumors regular

Great Idea, I have just sent an inquiry to Amazon to see about an exchange.

7. fongyuen macrumors 6502

yeah, i've had to deal with this before and i had more than 1 dead pixel and the guy at the apple store was giving me a hard time about their policy of at least 4-5 dead/stuck pixels and needing to be close together. but the good news is, is that if you push them, they should relent.

8. azharc macrumors member

I had a stuck pixel on my one month old MBP. Blue for me.
    There is a big difference between stuck and dead. I suspect yours is a stuck pixel.

Here's how to fix stuck pixels :
    http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Stuck-Pixel-on-an-LCD-Monitor

Be careful though. The above methods worked for me perfectly fine and I haven't seen that stuck bugger since.

9. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Apple generally won't take a return for one pixel, apparently thats reasonable. Maybe Amazon will.

10. Dr Strangelove thread starter macrumors regular

Tried that except for the screen pressing and tapping. Since the screen is glass, I doubt any of that would work.

11. JustLuke macrumors newbie

Don't the new MBPs use LED screens rather than old-style LCD ones? If so, I suspect that that "fix a stuck pixel" guide for LCDs will not be applicable.

Personally, I'd try for a replacement if I were you, regardless of Apple's official returns policy. I'm sure that if you kicked up enough fuss about it, they'd cave in and agree to fix/replace it.

12. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86

i had a blue pixel but after using the tapping method it seems to be sorted :)

13. Skyldig macrumors regular

I'm still waiting on my new MBP, but if mine has a stuck/dead pixel, I'll return it imediately.
    According to danish law (I come from Denmark) Apple must offer a 14-day return policy, that allows me to open the box and try out the product. If my MBP has a stuck/dead pixel, I can get a new MBP, and all I have to pay is the shippingcosts for the returned product. Don't know how this is in other countries though...

14. LedCop macrumors regular

LedCop

The guide won't work more for the display having the glass panel as someone already mentioned.

LED is just the backlighting technology. All laptop screens are LCDs. So the new screens are LED LCDs.

I think 'stuck' pixel is a bit of a misnomer actually. My 24-inch LCD monitor has a 'stuck' red pixel but it is more of the green and blue subpixels being faulty so when white is shown and all three subpixels are supposed to light up to give white, only the red does so it appears as a red 'stuck' pixel. Unless there is such a thing as when a black screen is up the pixel still lights up red. Then I guess it really is stuck.

15. rcky macrumors newbie

i hate seeing these posts, nothing against u

im just expecting my mbp this friday haha, hope everything is perfect

16. Dr Strangelove thread starter macrumors regular

Well so far Amazon has been helpful. They are processing a replacement now, we will see how far it goes and if the new one is ok.

This really is a beautiful machine, I do hate to be picky, but the screen really needs to be perfect. Everything else I can have replaced at the Apple store.

17. greenmeanie macrumors 6502a

greenmeanie

I called Apple before and they where cool about it.
    Said as long as it was under 15 days I think bring it back.

18. Jonny427 macrumors regular

My first MBP had 2 dead pixels. I returned it the next day and got a new one no questions asked. I double checked in the store before I left and had no dead/stuck pixels :D