Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

afultz075

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2007
Just got my first Mac ever on Tuesday..a 2.4ghz glossy MBP. Very pleased with it but noticed on the second day that it has a dead pixel about 3.5 inches up and 2 inches to the left from the lower right corner. This is my third laptop i've owned in my lifetime and also the most expensive by nearly $1000 so it really makes me uneasy that this is the only one to have a dead pixel.
Other than that..this MPB doesnt have any of the other issues like warping of the top case or lower 1/3 yellowing.
Now my question is, what are fellow MPB owners on this board doing about dead pixels. Living with it or calling up Apple? I've read on this board that Apple does replace computers due to one dead pixel with enough persistence. I'm really unsure right now what to do as I realize that a replacement could have an issue that bugs me far worse like a yellow lower 1/3 of the screen.

Also, I notice that if i'm listening to itunes and pause the song or after I close the program there is a static sound for about 30 seconds afterward. Is this an inherent issue?

SteveM8

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2007
I went through 3 and 3rd is perfect

Out of the three I had, there were no dead pixel problems on any - just the yellowing, warped case, freeze ups, kernel panics and broken return key.

The 3rd one is perfect in every way, and I am now happy. (unless something pops up in the next couple days)

I have found apple does NOT like to take a return or exchange. They gave me hassles every time and they seem to be trained to make you feel bad for returning something.

Jestered

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Austin, Texas
If you want to exchange it.... If you purchased it within 14 days, just take it back and tell them that you want to get a refund. After you get your money back, go get another one.

One stuck or dead pixel is in spec and Apple will not replace it no matter how persistent you are.

The problem with that is you may end up with another one that has the other problems that people on this board are talking about.

You can return the computer within 14 days without an explanation. Then get another one.

I wouldn't tell them anything about the dead pixel if this is what you plan to do.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
What I would (really) do is to take a hammer to it and ring them to say my machine came out of the box with a dent immediately. That you waited so many days.... you have lost the case for that option.

If it bothers you complain immediately. Don't go all soft and mushy and look at its good attributes while deciding if the flaw is worth ditching the machine for.

SteveM8

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2007
Restock fee

Problem is that if you just return it they charge you a restock fee

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
Have you tried massaging the dead pixel? If you're lucky it will take care of it.

Otherwise, surely there is something else wrong with it? Something....maybe you should let me take a look at it??? I'm known to be able to find faulty with even the most perfect machine!

If not, Iwoot's advice seems good.

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
They don't have to exchange it due to just one dead pixel but I would personally make a fuss until they do. Noone should have to get dead pixels after shelling out that sort of cash for a MBP. If you're already feeling uneasy about having a dead pixel....imagine how annoying it's going to be when you watch movie in full screen! You'll have that little tiny spot showing up constantly....it'll drive anyone crazzzzzyyyyy!

henhowc

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Don't listen to these guys who think that returning a LCD with dead pixels is a lost cause. A lot of stores will shoot you down but its NOT out of the realm of possibility. It really depends on the manager at the particular Apple store and whoever you get on the phone.

I had one dead pixel on my new MBP and I took it back to my school's apple retailer the same day. At first they gave me the whole spiel about the industry standard and the within spec BS. I insisted that they at least have the hardware repair guys in the back look at it.

So they had me fill-out a work order. The whole time the manager kept telling me how he had a dead pixel on his own laptop and he couldn't get Apple to exchange it and saying that it is very unlikely that Apple will authorize an exchange. I get a call about a hour later from one of the repair guys informing me that Apple authorized an exchange and would be mailing them a new one (they were out of stock of the 2.2 MBP at the time).

Its a crap shoot but it really is worth a shot. Going in sooner rather than later will probably increase the likely hood of them doing an exchange. That plus you bitching them out (be nice about it though). :)

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
It is worth it for Apple to spend a few hundred dollars on a unhappy customer if that means they keep that customer in the future.

Apple wants you to be happy, and therefore if you care about a dead pixel so much to complain, they will probably fix it. If someone refuses, go find another guy.

If there's anything wrong with your computer at all, it can't hurt to try and get it fixed.

Macbie

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2007
It will depend on how good or arsehead your local store's manager do his business, right now my credit card company is helping negotiate with my local store. I guess some of you guys heard what happened to me, on 6/18 after I brought the MBP back to return, the next day I gave the store a bad shopper's experiences feedback online. So then next day after my bad feedback, the actual manager in charged (not the one I spoke to initially, he was just temporary in charged at the time) called me back and want to find out why I gave his store a bad rep.

I told him what happened to the MBP I brought back and what his genius bar noob told me about the 7 bad pixels in one square inch area rule, which surprised, surprised, he told me he has no idea how the genius noob came up with that number. I told him and insisted him to give me a darker room and let me show him.

So he offered me a deal to comeback and get another one minus the 10% I got hit, however his deal was not based on that he believed the MBP I returned was actually bad but based on my bad feedback. He then said if I don't take it, which I didn't, he made it clear like some mentioned here what other managers told them, if I get another one with minor flaws I can't exchange again, not without the 10%. Also he can't refund me the 10% since Apple store rule all returns will hit with the restocking fees, because that's how much they need to lower to resell. That's BS because if an item is defect within 14days then that customer should entitled for full refund.

I mean after all the things I have been through in his store, no freaking way I will go back there again for anything, just like a poster here told me he rather drive extra miles to a different store for better services. I am sure everyone here whom paid top notch dollars for top notch machines all prefered some high standard services and not being treated like crap.

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
What I would (really) do is to take a hammer to it and ring them to say my machine came out of the box with a dent immediately. That you waited so many days.... you have lost the case for that option.

If it bothers you complain immediately. Don't go all soft and mushy and look at its good attributes while deciding if the flaw is worth ditching the machine for.

I never thought of that idea.. just a small little ding eh? Kudos for iW00t. now release the apple activist on us for not being honest blah blah blah.....

Macbie

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2007

LOL, actually there is a protection plan in certain visa, mastercard, or amex cards, that if you lose the item to theft or acidental damages they might cover your repair cost or replace you with a new one within the first 90days

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Before you deal with sending it back, try to fix it.

My Google-fu is failing me at the moment, but there are utilities that basically cycle your display through many colors and high contrast differences really fast, that can 'unlock' a stuck pixel (even one stuck off, but not one that is truly dead.) You should also try applying mild pressure at the dead pixel point to try to 'massage' it alive.

I've seen both techniques work in the past. Especially on brand new displays.

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
LOL, actually there is a protection plan in certain visa, mastercard, or amex cards, that if you lose the item to theft or acidental damages they might cover your repair cost or replace you with a new one within the first 90days

Usually that includes a police report, too much of a PITA.

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
how about acidentall drop the machine and claim opps:eek:

I suppose that would work. I would verify with my CC/insurance company before doing so. Thats one cool thing I like about my Dell, accidental coverage.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I suppose that would work. I would verify with my CC/insurance company before doing so. Thats one cool thing I like about my Dell, accidental coverage.

Just hope they don't find this thread. Those protection plans on credit cards ARE insurance plans, and insurance fraud is a hard rap to beat.

HungrySeacow

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
West Palm Beach
Keep it! Every mac is different and you will be likely to find an issue with the next one. I made that mistake when my iMac had an off-centered screen. I had to go trough another 5 before I was given one with uniform colors.

Macbie

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2007
Keep it! Every mac is different and you will be likely to find an issue with the next one. I made that mistake when my iMac had an off-centered screen. I had to go trough another 5 before I was given one with uniform colors.

Or just let the problem come to you, don't try to go find the problem, live longer that way, haha.:p .

afultz075

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2007
Thank you all for the advice. I'm still unsure of what I will do. I'm gonna give it another day. The pixel is black so i'm assuming it's dead...but is there any chance for it to be repaired? I have the pixel fixer widget that flashes colors but I have my doubts that it'll work since it appears dead. How long does it need to run before it normally fixes a pixel?

Macbie

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2007
Thank you all for the advice. I'm still unsure of what I will do. I'm gonna give it another day. The pixel is black so i'm assuming it's dead...but is there any chance for it to be repaired? I have the pixel fixer widget that flashes colors but I have my doubts that it'll work since it appears dead. How long does it need to run before it normally fixes a pixel?
That's dead and 100% most likely stay dead, even though the genius bar noob at my local store will tell you that's a stuck pixel. If lucky, stuck pixel fixer or the massage methods might work for you with seconds or minutes, next worse case scenario will be hours, or within 2days straight, then you pray either it will disappear on its own or it will like dead pixel, which will stuck there permenantly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.