Dead pixel? Only shows up on light backgrounds.. help!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Saviorrisen, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Saviorrisen macrumors newbie

I have a late 2007 iMac a1224 that has developed this pixel in the top right quadrant of the screen that is burnt, dead or something? I can't quite pinpoint the color, sometimes it looks green, other times almost clear.. like some spit? Do you know what I am saying?

It only shows up on lighter backgrounds.. black backgrounds don't show it.. I have tried some of the pixel fixers, to no avail..

Any suggestions? What exactly is it?

2. Saviorrisen thread starter macrumors newbie

I managed to get a picture with my GS3 which actually shows it quite clearly.. here ya go..

Does this look fixable?

Attached Files:

3. Saviorrisen thread starter macrumors newbie

Normally here I get a response in a couple minutes.. I guess it is Saturday night. :)

My other question is, if it is a dead pixel.. does that increase the likeliness of getting more?

4. webster69 macrumors newbie

Although not an LCD expert my experience-

Hard to say 100 percent from photo without seeing it but it looks like a dead pixel as opposed to a stuck pixel. I think some people find minor success with pixel utilities when they are stuck but less so when dead.

I have personally had several dead pixels on a variety of devices and I have never had one come back using utilities or tricks found on the Internet. I have also had individual dead pixels show up and never another but also multiple on other devices so no clear pattern or behaviour.

Not sure I provided anything useful but thought I would share my experiences.

5. Saviorrisen thread starter macrumors newbie

Very helpful.. thankyou for your experience, I appreciate it.. nice to see another fellow Canadian as well!

6. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

It's a dead sub pixel. A dead pixel is always completely black. A sub pixel (red, green or blue) will cause different colours to appear depending on what colour the pixel is trying to display.
    However none of this helps you because once its gone, it's gone.

7. Saviorrisen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. Does this mean there will be more to come or the chances don't increase at all?

8. iTouch macrumors 6502

I have one on my new 27" iMac. It was annoying at first. But it's on the upper left hand corner. I don't plan on keeping it for a year. Most likely will sell it for the new 27" model when it's released.

9. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Chances are the same for it developing other dead pixels or not. You only need to worry if you see a group clustered together.

----------

You realise Apple will swap out any device with a dead pixel? This is a great deal. Top monitor manufactures like Eizo don't offer this service (although NEC do on their top models in the UK)