Dead Pixel or Dust

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hotgrease, Dec 13, 2011.

1. hotgrease macrumors regular

I have a black speck on my screen that is under the glass and I'm not sure what it is. It looks like a dead pixel, but if I put the cursor on the black speck and look at the screen from a sharp angle, I can see that the black speck is above the cursor (it doesn't look like there are any pixels out). I know that Apple requires 3 or more dead pixels to replace the screen, but would they fix it with one speck of dust in it? It's in a pretty annoying place - halfway down the screen and about three inches from the left. My Macbook Pro is about 4 months old right now so no exchanging it within the return period =/

[​IMG]

2. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

It could be

a) a glass defect

b) a dead pixel

c) dust

there's only one way to find out sir

3. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I think it is really hard to see on the picture. If you cannot see it on the real thing nobody here can.

It is no the least annoying kind of pixel problems. You know what is really annoying a stuck subpixel expecially the green kind. That is unbearable. A black pixel one hardly notices, it just looks like a bit of dust.

4. hotgrease thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies. I guess my question is whether Apple will fix it under warranty if it's a piece of dirt as opposed to a single dead pixel which apparently is not bad enough to fix.

5. Pentad, Dec 13, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2011

Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

IMHO it looks like dust. I would take it to Apple and ask them. I think they will replace it if it is dust or dirt behind the glass.

I reread your post and saw that your MBP is only 4 months old. I would be nice but firm with Apple on this. This is not acceptable. Especially if it is dirt or dust.

If it is a bad pixel I would still be very firm with them about fixing it. Given the area and the price I do not think that a replacement is unreasonable (screen).

I know some people here do not think that a bad pixel is a big deal but I do. Given the price of these machines I do expect the screen to be perfect. I have never accepted a machine with a bad pixel, I never will, and I have never been turned away from an oem (HP, Dell, Apple, Gateway - all through the years).

I was never rude but I was always firm about what I expect from their products.

You can quote the "X amount of dead pixels" crap to me all day long but I work hard for my money and I will not budge on this.

I hope this helps, OP.

Good Luck!
    -P

6. rdpbass macrumors newbie

Dead Pixie Dust

7. hotgrease thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice - I'll try scheduling an appointment and see what they say...

8. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

If it is dust you should still be able to see it when the LCD is off, if not then it is a pixel issue.