Dead pixel problem on Samsung screen RMBP -- common?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macbook123, Sep 17, 2012.

1. macbook123, Sep 17, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2012

macbook123 macrumors 68000

I can't imagine that I'm alone in this. On the 3rd RMBP, returned the first two because they formed >10 dead pixels within two weeks, was somewhat relieved to get a Samsung, no dead pixels after two weeks, then they started popping up a week later. Now, about 1.5 months after I got it, there are 11 dead pixels. These are always white pixels dark backgrounds. When I say dead pixels, I really mean clusters -- two of them are clusters of 4 each right in the center, very visible even given how small the individual ones are. Can folks with a MBP older than two weeks or so look at a dark background like this one and report their findings:

http://jasonfarrell.com/misc/deadpixeltest.php?p=1

Thanks.

2. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

hey i have the same clusters of dead pixels.. very visible when watching a dark background or something..

when i rub the area with my nail and listen very carefully, it sounds like there is a small notch on the screen.. so i have a theory that i might have closed the lid and the screen must have a sand corn or something pushed agains the monitor making a dead pixel area.

dno if that made any sense.. i try to keep everything clean but i somehow still manage to find new spots.. i have about 2 clusters right now, bout 1½ month old.

3. cstm macrumors regular

is yours retina?

4. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah, stupid that I didn't specify it. Retina Macbook Pro. Third one. All have pixels dying within weeks.

5. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

That's unfortunate - I guess at this point you have to decide whether or not it is worth it to you to go for another return.

Is a replacement an option for you at this point - 1.5 months into owning it? I mean, it is a defect after all. I am sure they will replace it under Apple Care but not sure on the refund instead of trying to fix it. I think you should just opt for it.

6. tomiwah macrumors newbie

I had several frozen pixel clusters develop on my first rMBP during the first two weeks, so I swapped it. I did not check the display manufacturer.

My second rMBP had an LG screen and major color uniformity issues, so I returned it for a refund because Apple would not let me swap again and ordered a new one.

The third one, with a Samsung screen, was perfect on arrival. Yesterday, after five weeks of use, I noticed a stuck pixel when watching a video. I tried software fixes and also rubbed the screen to get it unstuck, both to no avail. If additional clusters develop, I am going to take it in to try to get the screen swapped.

Please post on whether you got your issue resolved.

7. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

I'll keep you posted. And please do keep us posted if it stays at a single dead pixel for you. I had one for a few days but then more and more popped up. To track the rate at which they come into existence I look at that black background image every once in a while.

8. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

I thought I'd chime in and say that my Samsung Retina display has absolutely no dead/stuck pixels.

I'm not just saying that; defective pixels drive me insane and I can't stop myself from putting every new display I get under intense scrutiny. :eek:

9. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for chiming in. How old is your laptop? Mine started popping up only a month after I got it.

10. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

It was bought not long after release, sometime in early July. I forget when exactly, but it has been used enough to conclude that no defective pixels are going to pop up (thankfully!).

In my experience, I've never found dead/stuck pixels to appear over time. They've always been there from the very beginning for me, so I'm surprised to hear that yours appeared a month in.

11. tomiwah macrumors newbie

My concern is that this is my second rMBP that was perfect when I got it and then began developing clusters of stuck pixels. If no more pop up, I can live with one. I guess I will wait and see.

12. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

You guys have got me worried now! I'm pretty sure that mine is old enough that the likelihood of pixel defects developing is very low, but I'll let you know if I notice any popping up.

13. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Same here, hence I'm very surprised that this keeps happening.

14. Juan TS macrumors member

Hey guys!

Don't feel that much lucky.

I adquired my rmbp with Samsung display on July 8th. It was perfect until last week: a dead pixel. Very close to the center of the screen. It really pissed me off :mad:

It was perfect for more than 2 months, but then bamn. I sent it to an Apple Official Service Provider store (since there are no official Apple Stores in Portugal) and I haven't heard of it for more than a week. Hope to get a new Samsung display, although that for such a relatively new machine we should be given a new machine.

Anyways, don't think that only because you have spent more than a month with it you are free of possible display problems!

15. kblnig macrumors newbie

I got the exact same problem and i am now on my second rmbp and this keeps occurring.

TO be fair, I recently moved near the beach and hence i am in contact with sand quite often. I try to keep my macbook clean and i can't see any sand corns on my rmbp for the moment. Since the screen and lcd are not seperated in the rmbp i am guessing that scratch in the screen will result in a destruction of the LCD panel in that area?

anyways.. is this really what to expect? - daily use will destroy the screen?

I really tried to my mac clean and to me it looks clean.

They switched my mac no questions asked the first time it happend but also told me that they would need to check it if this happend again.

What happend when you guys returned your macs did they swap it out instantly, did they repair it and most important of all what did you tell them?