Dead pixel protocol

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Hushbull, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Hushbull macrumors member

Hushbull

I have a refurb 15" MBP that was originally fine, still under first year of warranty. In the last day I noticed two dead pixels. So what is the next step... the closest Apple store is in Memphis, take it there? Will they just replace the screen? How long will I be without it?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Two dead pixels isn't enough for a replacement...

What Apple will really do is another story.

3. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Two dead pixels does not warrant a replacement... especially this late.

4. Hushbull thread starter macrumors member

Hushbull

That's kinda crappy... what in this case would warrant them honoring the uh.... warranty?

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

A lot more dead pixels or a cluster of them.

6. Hushbull thread starter macrumors member

Hushbull

hmmm... fun.

7. McDughf macrumors regular

I bought a brand new 30 inch display and when it arrived I noticed within a day a single dead pixel in the centre of the screen. I phoned up apple and they told me it would need a minimum of 5 dead pixels to warrant a replacement.
    After spending that much on a brand new top of the range screen, I was not having a dead pixel right in my line of vision so I got them to take it back and went to my local apple store and bought another.
    Apart from that little incident, I have never had a problem with Apple screens, but I do think the 5 pixel or more policy stinks.

Barney

8. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

I had a few dead pixels on my iMac after three weeks of use - well outside of the two-week return window.

The Genius replaced it for me on the spot.

At the end of the day, it depends on who you get when you set foot inside the Apple Store. Just head in there with a good attitude and tell them that a flawless display is important to your line of work. That said, if it doesn't bother you that much and the rest of the machine is fine, stick with it because you never know what kind of flaws a new machine may have.