Dead pixel question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JohnDoe98, Jul 9, 2012.

1. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

After 3 weeks of a perfect screen, I now have a little white spot that is brighter then everything else. It looks like a comma "," and it's apparent on all backgrounds except a black background. A gentle rub did nothing to get it out. Rebooting and powering off are also useless. With the screen off and properly cleaned, there are no visual imperfections so this isn't a scratch but is an issue with the LCD.

Does this sound like a dead pixel, or a few dead pixels adjacent to each other, to you?

I guess if I can't fix it, to the Genius bar I'm bound.

2. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

I think the Genius Bar is your best bet. Free inspection and diagnosis. That's hard to beat. Good luck on getting things straightened out.

3. JohnDoe98 thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah, I suppose you are right. It's just hard to schedule them in and they seem overloaded on weekends as there are no appointments, so if I could find a fix myself that'd be great. Google wasn't much help so I figured I'd ask here to see if anyone had good ideas.

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

A white spot that doesn't show on a black background? Odd.

5. JohnDoe98 thread starter macrumors 68020

I know, if it was a dead pixel you'd figure it would show on black background, but it shows on everything except black.

6. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Yeah, really strange. I did a Google search also and turned up lots of pages regarding spots on screen. Read through several but found nothing to match your exact situation. Everything does seem to point to a dead pixel though.

7. JohnDoe98 thread starter macrumors 68020

Well thanks for checking! :)

8. Tritons macrumors 6502

If you can't see it on black it isn't dead pixel it's stuck.

9. JohnDoe98 thread starter macrumors 68020

I guess. Well I was lucky and a Genius appointment opened up for first thing this morning. I brought it in and they said the display needs to be changed. They had no replacement models in stock, told me I was the first person to bring a Retina MBP in for repair, so they had to order the screen and that might take a while given it's brand new part. They'll call me when it gets in to do the repair. Apparently when it's out of warranty to change the screen is a 700$ repair.

Ah well, at least I have a repair number and they are committed to fixing it now.

Thanks for everyone's input.