Dead Pixel, what to do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jpeso2525, Oct 30, 2008.

1. jpeso2525 macrumors member

jpeso2525

I have a dead pixel on a 6 month old MacBook Pro. I am stupid, what do I got to do to get it fixed?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

If you got it from Apple directly and were still under the 14 day return policy you might be able to beg for a replacement. There's really not much you can do about it now short of paying for a replacement.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If it is a dead pixel, live with it ... you might create a stink to get it replaced and then get 2-3 stuck pixels in trade.

If it is a stuck pixel in an annoying place, it might be worth creating a stink.

If it is a stuck pixel outside the viewing sweet spot. Same warning as the dead pixel. You might trade a single problem pixel for several.

---

If this is the first time in 6 months that you are noticing it, because you looked for it. It doesn't sound like it is a huge issue, and just something you are annoyed with because you ran a dead/stuck pixel locator program.

4. jpeso2525 thread starter macrumors member

jpeso2525

It's right next to the :apple: in the top left corner. The AppleCare Protection Plan doesn't cover it?

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Not really, since the spec is likely up to 8 dead pixels.

Most likely you would trade a single dead pixel is a good spot (out of the way) for scratched case and 3 stuck pixels right in the middle of the screen.

6. jpeso2525 thread starter macrumors member

jpeso2525

What do you mean trade? If I complained, they would send me a refurbished unit? Or what? Sorry if these are dumb ?'s

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

They would replace the screen, and that doesn't mean you would get a perfect screen back.

Apple considers up to 3 stuck pixels and 5 dead pixels with a combo of 7 within spec.

People have had their displays with 1 or 2 dead pixels swapped for a new LCD panel with several stuck pixels. Happens.

One dead pixel in an out of the way area isn't worth the risk or computer damage, loss, swapping from dead to stuck pixels, etc.

Since it took 6 months to notice it, it likely isn't a glaring issue.

Edit: Apple karma on the issue seems to be that people complaining about it enough to get the LCD swapped tend to end up with a machine that has more pixel issues.

8. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

If you complained, they wouldn't do anything for you. 1 dead pixel in the upper left hand corner of the screen isn't going to get you a replacement, especially after waiting this long. If you had 3 or more dead pixels, you could get a replacement if you really wanted, but you lack a significant number of them, it's out of the general viewing area (i.e., center screen), and it's been 6 months.

9. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Dude, the pixel is on the :apple: in the corner....how often to you look at it? I guarantee you that won't affect your use w/ the machine whatsoever....even if you run DVDs that way off at the top of the letterbox. They're going to tell you to forget it anyways. If it was in the center you might have a case but it took you 6 months to even notice it. Let it go.

10. bki122689 macrumors 6502

bki122689

if you have apple care apple will fix dead pixels

11. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

I would not worry about one dead pixel. I just got a new MB three days ago and after I finished setting it up I noticed that there was one dead pixel. I will live with it and if more pixels die I will call Apple.

12. chuckiii macrumors newbie

Just FYI - I have a brand new MBP. I ordered it the day it came out and got it the following Monday. It had one dead pixel in the very middle of the screen. I do a lot of design work so it was really bothering me, small as it was...I didn't pay over $3000 to have a new laptop with a dead pixel.

So I called, told them about it, and they said OK no problems at all. I'm returning it and getting a new one, no questions asked...

13. MPHL macrumors regular

MPHL

Just curious but where on the screen is the dead pixel?

14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Was said several times, near the :apple: on the menu bar.

15. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

DON'T listen to these people!

Go to Apple and say you have a dead pixel and they'll replace the screen for you. Don't live with junk!

16. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

I agree, you paid a premium for a MBP. Apple decided to charge premium so they deserve to lose money with returns on stuff like this. 6 months later might be a bit late but it's your call. I once bought a very cheap dell and it was perfect.

I'm gonna get my third MBP soon and have no faith in it being better than the first 2. They will replace them until next halloween if they have to until I get a perfect one.