dead pixel

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jimmy83, Sep 14, 2010.

1. jimmy83 macrumors 65816

Dammit! Just noticed I've got a dead pixel on the right handside about a third of the way up. Can you claim a replacement from Apple for just one dead pixel?

2. darkside flow macrumors 6502

I would take it back. A dead pixel is a defect of the screen and a $650/750 touch screen product should not have defects.

3. jimmy83 thread starter macrumors 65816

I thought the minimum had to be 3 before they replace it? Whats the best way to check for dead pixels?

4. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

If they'll replace it for my wonky SIM tray they should replace it for a dead pixel.

5. cypher23 macrumors member

cypher23

The threshold for an iPhone is 1 pixel. The larger the screen the more pixel anomaly threshold. As long as it's under warranty, they'll replace it.

6. PrincessMelody macrumors member

I'd like to know this too...

7. cathyy macrumors 6502a

Give it a try. I had a small black spot below my screen. Not sure whether it was a dead pixel or some other thing.

Anyway I brought it to my Telco (in Singapore it's the telephone company that has to service the iPhone), the guy looked at it and brought out a replacement for me 2 minutes later. :)

8. cypher23 macrumors member

cypher23

To test for pixel anomaly would depend on what kind of anomaly you have. If it's a bright pixel (stuck on) then resetting your iPhone to the apple logo would be your best bet to test because it's a black background. If you have a dark anomaly (dead pixel) then opening a new page in Safari would give you a blank white background. With the iPhone 4, you may need a magnifying glass to see the individual pixels.

9. shwanger macrumors newbie

noticed a dead pixel in center while watching a music video with lots of white. Knowing that the answer is subjective, what is an acceptable amount of dead pixel(s) for ya'll to warrant an exchange?

Thanks
    steve

10. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

I had a dead pixel in the very top right corner and they exchanged it. With that being said, the replacement had 3 dead pixels, they swapped it again with the genius mentioning that there is such thing as "within spec." my replacement for that has a dead pixel and a stuck pixel (The stuck is hard to notice as is the dead one but they are closer to the center.) At this point i am tired of heading up to the apple store. It seems like more iphones are going to have at least some sort of dead/stuck pixel because of the high resolution. By all means go take it up and they will more than likely exchange it w/o a problem, but chances are the new one will also have a dead or stuck pixel.