Dead Pixel?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by miloblithe, May 11, 2007.

1. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Is this a dead pixel on the sensor? It's in the same place in all my recent photos. Or is it dust?

What can I do at this point? (Canon XTi)

Edit: other, I mean, than ignore it because it's insignificant.

Attached Files:

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

3. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i'm not sure about this now. i have some faint memory that i heard that cameras check automatically for hot pixels on the chip and map them out. you just have to trigger the process. i thought on the sony it's done every few hours or so automatically. maybe a website or tech manual can give you information how to reset the camera.

sorry, i don't remember much more than that. try dpreview.com

4. miloblithe thread starter macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Thanks for the suggestion!

Here's what I found (just in case it helps anyone else):

Seems to have done the trick, although at ISO 1600 there are a number of little dark gray dots, including, I think, in the place where this one was (at ISO 200 in actual pictures). Still, a vast improvement.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Awesome! I'd expect to see some anomalies at ISO1600. It's reasonably noisy on the 400D (for an SLR, it's mile ahead of a P&S). Those grey dots are not an issue with the sensor: they are probably being caused by some very minor fluctuations in the amps.

6. Crawn2003 macrumors 6502

A long, long, long time ago I had a P&S Olympus. I think it was like a 1.3 megapixel camera, and I had this exact problem! Blue and red pixels showing up in the photographs. I called Olympus and they said it was probably a problem with the sensor, dead pixel or what not, so I sent it back to them and they sent me a new one (I want to say) overnight.

~Crawn