dead pixel?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chadup, Jun 26, 2009.

1. chadup macrumors newbie

my 3gs seems to have a dead pixel in the bottom right hand corner of my screen, or at least that's what i think it is. it's not noticeable on a bright screen, but when the screen goes dark, for instance, when i'm starting apps, it's hella noticeable. is this normal? or if not, would this be enough reason to get it exchanged? i know it might seem like a tiny problem, but this is my first iPhone and I want it to be perfect.

2. Elhammerpuncho macrumors newbie

Bring it to an apple store and they will swap it out for a "new" phone no questions asked.

3. samven582 macrumors 6502a

i have two myself. Do you need to make a appointment with the genius bar or can I just walk in and exchange it?.

4. chadup thread starter macrumors newbie

5. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

i have two dead pixels.. will they replace it? i wouldnt normally care, but i'd rather get it replaced now before the warranty expires.

6. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

I just found a dead pixel as well.

Whats the deal with exchanging? I got mine on launch. Will they exchange? The replacement will be a new one right? not refurbed?

7. Gamst macrumors regular

Gamst

You'll most likely get a new one if it's within 14 days of purchase, otherwise maybe a refurb. Though I wouldn't know if they have refurb any 3GS yet?

8. samven582 macrumors 6502a

Ask them to replace your screen instead of giving you a refurb.

9. astonecold83 macrumors member

I had the same issue and I made an appointment at the Genius Bar. I purchased the phone on 6/25. When the Genius guy looked at the phone, he said that on a normal basis, a dead pixel would not be enough to get the phone replaced but he wouldn't give me a hard time since it is a new phone and he replaced it on the spot. Also, I want to mention to you that if your phone gets replaced, you have a 95% chance of getting a new one instead of one being refurbished. I had the same concern and I was told from two different Genius Reps and from two different stores that right now you will be getting a new replacement phone since the 3GS is still new and Apple does not have refurbished phones yet in stock. At least for 6 months or so.

Good Luck but I bet they will exchange it for a new and shiny 3GS :D

10. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

I have a genius appointment tomorrow. I cant stand going to the apple store. On top of that, i've been there 4 times in the past month because of my girlfriends phone, for these stupid appointments.

If they give me a hard time, or a phone with any other weird defects, i'm gonna go ape **** in there.

11. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

I went to my appointment today to get my phone swapped. I was actually pretty happy, because the tech i was talking to was a really nice guy. he swapped it out, and i inspected the phone. All seemed in order.

Afterwards, i went to a bbq at my familys. I just got home, and i further inspect it.

another dead pixel. i'm so angry right now. I came from using Nokia smartphones that had terrible build quality and quality control, and now i have to deal with this.

I made another appointment for tomorrow. I seriously hope its my last.