Dead Pixeld - Apple told me its my fault!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nownot, Jan 12, 2009.

1. nownot macrumors regular

i have a macbook pro that is nearly a year old, i just took it in with several problems one of which was dead pixels on the screen. on friday i got a call from apple repair center telling me that the dead pixels were accidental damage from user, that i must of hit it with something. how could i of caused specific pixels to die? could i of poked them with a pen ( <- sarcasm ), really if i would of it hit from the front the screen would be cracked, if i would of hit it form the back then it would be bruised not dead pixels. so i dont know what to do, i picked my laptop up today and there still there, thinking of calling applecare or something like that, any ideas?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

That's disgusting.

How many dead pixels? Apple's fix policy is 5 dead pixels or more. Write to Apple corporate if you have more than that number and tell them that you were refused service.

3. zorahk macrumors 6502

Well, to be honest, it is possible that if the lid was closed on a small yet think enough object (think a paperclip or something easy to misplace) you could theoretically cause dead pixels. However, the damage pattern would be evident of the object, and it would be hundreds of pixels dead

4. Oversoul macrumors member

I think the OP means of=have, and by extension would of=would've and so on.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Stop poking the screen with a pen.;)

Seriously, I'd get another opinion by giving Applecare a call. If they wont help, then ask for a supervisor. Just keep escalating it.

6. nownot thread starter macrumors regular

not sure how many there are but i am attaching blurry pics that i took with the iphone. i put a circle around the dead area, and in one pic there is a set of pixels which are brighter than that rest .... not sure whats that about. so yeah ...... might give a call to apple care tomorrow, but the only thing is i just spent almost a week without my laptop and really cant afford to be without it since school is about to start up and i do web / iphone dev on the side :(:(:(

Attached Files:

7. Mr.Gadget macrumors 6502

Mr.Gadget

For sure I would call them and be polite and yet firm. Follow up though or the only surety is that nothing will get fixed... That is unacceptable that they just call it your fault and it is a done deal (in their eyes).

8. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I've done that once to a dell notebook trying to rub the stuck pixel back to life... I think it is your fault.

9. nownot thread starter macrumors regular

ummm what? ive never tried to rub any pixels back to life, the bright spot has no dead pixels in or around it, it just a inexplicable bright spot.

10. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

When you do call Apple remain calm but don't play dumb. Don't pretend that this is the first time you contacted Apple about your computer having issues because the Genius has already noted your account about the problem and has noted that the issue was due to customer physical damage. Tell them that you want a second opinion to see if your warranty covers these issues and explain to them that you feel the Genius didn't offer his best in customer service. Let us know how things work out.

Anyways relax and watch "24". :)

11. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

I'd definitely call them back if you have AppleCare. They will do anything they can to get you to stop trying to get pixel problems fixed. I had a warranty claim for a dead spot on my Air rejected because I didn't have an original receipt. The supervisor I talked with also said she had two spots on her screen and she didn't mind at all...of course I believed that as much as the Apple Store goon somehow being into exactly the same stuff I'm into no matter what store I go into.

Keep at them and maybe they'll let you go to a repair center and get it looked at.

12. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Does anyone know if there is any better pics somewhere of dead pixels? O like a comparative size that would warrant a fix? I think i have the same problem and im trying to figure out if i should take it in

13. nownot thread starter macrumors regular

::update::
    i called applecare and both people i talked to agreed that it wasn't my fault, so they called and got me an appointment to get the lcd replaced at a store near by. the people over the phone are so much nicer than the genius bar folks. but yeah all seems to be fine now.

14. Vtorch macrumors member

May I ask you a question?

Where did you buy the laptop? Online or at the store?

15. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

It's nice to have an appointment and a work order number. Hopefully, they won't take their sweet time with the repair...

16. nippyjun macrumors 65816

The customer is always right.

If there is a chance that they product is defective then the customer is right should be the policy. Not blame the customer.

17. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

That doesn't look like dead pixels to me, but more like a dark spot on the screen (which is also a defect). Of course the quality of the photo doesn't help, but from what I can tell that doesn't look like dead pixels.

[​IMG]
    That's a dead pixel.

Also, I just noticed in the last pic you have a bright spot instead of a dark spot... The LCD is defective and it should be replaced regardless.

18. nownot thread starter macrumors regular

and to acfusion29:
    they were dead pixels, the quality of the pic doesnt do it justice. but they replaced the screen without question :)