Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ashokc

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
Hi guys I purchased a macbook yesterday with a couple of dead pixels in the centre of the screen that for me personally were off putting. After a few phone calls to apple sales supports I persuaded them to replace the macbook for me. I'm just wondering if dead pixels are quite common with these notebooks. I've owned 5 or 6 notebooks in the past and never had problems with lcds so heres hoping the new macbook they send out is great :D

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
I had one on my MBP. After starring at it for about a month, I took it to the Apple Store, and convinced one of the geniuses that they needed to replace my screen. The new one is perfect. I think it's just a matter of chance. Most of the screens for laptops are made by a handfull of manifacturers, and I doubt that Apple laptops have more or less issues than PC laptops in terms of screens.

DOlsson

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2007
I'm incredibly anal (haha) but if I were you I would LOSE it. I would not put up with that.

You're doing the right thing!

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
I would advise anyone buying a mac to buy it at an Apple store if at all possible. Get them to order it in, and open it up and run it in shop. My dad bought a computer for his school, and was able (with a bit of pressure) to convince the guy at the Apple store to agree to replace the 17" Powerbook (About 2 years ago) with a new one, if there was even one dodgy pixel. Just a few days ago, I would say one of the contacts to the screen has stopped transmitting, or been damaged, and the screen now has a vertical red line down the screen. Luckily, the computer had the A.P.P. so it'll get a new screen, but that's off topic.

The point is, it's always a good idea to pull out the computer at the store and have a look. Makes it easier to get it replaced if there's anything wrong with it, because firstly you can "bargain" with the guy who's selling it to you, and there won't be any issues with whether you caused the problem or not. You won't get either of those benefits buying over the net from home.

buffalo

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2005
Tacoma, WA
After owning a perfect G5 iMac, I was sad to discover a stuck pixel on my MacBook. I'd guess that the chances of having problems are less than 50% (making that number up), but it's luck of the draw.

greenmeanie

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
AmigaWarez
Just wanted to post what apple told me.
I gave them a call and being that mine is new and under the 14 days they will swap it out for a new one.

For the heck of it I called dell. They told me 7 dead pixels nothing less before they exchange it!

kimnkk

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2007
Me!bourne, Australia
For the heck of it I called dell. They told me 7 dead pixels nothing less before they exchange it!

But what apple doesn't have is the 21 day satisfaction guaranteed program. I haven't had any problems getting Dell to replace my 24" LCDs over 3 times because of dead pixels - no problems at all.

I'm happy with Dell's service and i'm a bit hesitant with buying my first Macbook Pro because of all the stories i hear about faulty screens, units and customer service...

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
But what apple doesn't have is the 21 day satisfaction guaranteed program. I haven't had any problems getting Dell to replace my 24" LCDs over 3 times because of dead pixels - no problems at all.

I'm happy with Dell's service and i'm a bit hesitant with buying my first Macbook Pro because of all the stories i hear about faulty screens, units and customer service...
As much as I love the ACD and paying double for something when I can save 50% and get the same thing (minus the sexy design) I have to say dell blows apple out of the water when it comes to their display policy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.