Dead pixels, iP4... exchange for white?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by klitorisaurus, Jun 28, 2010.

1. klitorisaurus macrumors member

If I wait until early August, do you think Apple will let me?

Also, any idea when the exchanges will become refurbs? Are refurbs really that bad?

2. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Refurbs are perfect. Don't worry about that. They are, IMO, as good or better than a brand new iDevice. I'm not sure if they'll let you exchange for a white one.

3. Aero26 macrumors regular

I'd flip it ASAP if I were you. The less reason they have to blame it on you, the better. And 3 days(at most) use, unless you're a construction worker that really needs the apps, won't see you mashing at the LCD.

4. jsnuff1 macrumors 6502a

Exactly how do you know you have a dead pixel, since a human eye cannot perceive individual pixels on the retina display.

You would have to have a glob of 2 or more dead pixels for you to notice it.

5. bpd115 macrumors 6502a

bpd115

FWIW, I had my 3G replaced because the plastic around the dock connector was cracking. It is the white model and at the time I said "It's ok if you can only swap it with a black" and the Genius stated they can't do color swaps.

6. klitorisaurus thread starter macrumors member

Dead, stuck, multiples, now we're just talking semantics... black screen + tiny white dot = problem.

In addition, it may be hard to discern individual pixels when they're all functioning normally, but when one is bright white while the rest are dark, that ONE becomes noticeable.

As I suspected, thanks!

7. omizzle macrumors regular

8. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

They will not let you switch colors. You can only exchange for the same model you originally bought. The inventory system won't let Geniuses do anything different.

10. klitorisaurus thread starter macrumors member

I saw that! Looks like fun once my warranty is up.

I actually swapped my 3G back for a blue one when I replaced the shattered screen, but it never really fit right, as it wasn't OEM... swapped it back a few weeks later.

I'm sure that in a year, there will be sufficient parts available to do a more complete swap, unlike Engadget's.

11. swllnvag macrumors member

Ah, the ol' "butt crack." Got a new phone because of this as well.