Dead Pixels on MBP Display?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tmoney468, Apr 11, 2008.

1. tmoney468 macrumors 6502

Hi guys (and gals), I've noticed this line on my MBP's screen for a couple of months now, and the more I notice it the more it's starting to bother me. I've tried cleaning the screen to no avail, I've run an LCD Dead Pixel test and the line is visible on all of the colors and white, so I don't think it's a stuck pixel. And when the computer is on, it's like the mouse pointer is above the black line, leading me to believe that they're dead pixels. Here are a couple images, they aren't the best but they're all I could do tonight:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any ideas, or should I bring it in to an Apple store to get it repaired? Thanks!

2. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

without a doubt take it to the apple store.

3. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

It will be interesting to see if they will do anything for you. Hope you get it sorted. Post back to keep us updated!!

4. ceehjayem macrumors regular

I don't think you can repair dead pixels. Best to take it back to Apple.

5. JasonK macrumors member

If there are dead pixels apple will repair for free if it is still covered under Apple Care.

6. blackslayer macrumors regular

U have the same problems as me. i went down to the repair centre and they told me they don allowing the replacement of screen unless there are more than 5 dead pixels but she told me that if it is bothering me, i can make a call to apple and tell them about my problem.

7. tmoney468 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, the pictures aren't the best because of the lack of light and slower shutter speed, but it does seem like there's more than 5 pixels dead or dark. Thanks guys for the feedback, I'll try to call an Apple store sometime this week to make an appointment.

8. tmoney468 thread starter macrumors 6502

One quick question, and a hypothetical one at that. Let's say hypothetically that I upgraded my HD to a 320GB, up from the 100 GB stock one I had. Do I really have to go through the trouble of putting the old HD in before I bring it into the store given that this is a display issue?

If this hypothetical situation were to occur, couldn't I make an excuse that I brought it to an authorized repair center and say that they must have forgotten to log the upgrade?

Thanks!