Dead Pixels on new iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lugesm, Jun 5, 2011.

1. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

I am planning to buy a 27" iMac, Core-i7, max clock speed, 8GB in the coming 2 weeks. I cannot get it locally which requires that I order it from Apple. No problem, under ordinary circumstances.

My fear: I could get the machine and it will have some dead pixels. My only experience with dead pixels was very annoying. In fact, they were not a big deal, but every time I turned the computer on the dead pixels was all I could see.:(

Question: Does anyone have experience with attempting to exchange a Mac with Apple when it has dead pixels? Does anyone know, for sure, what the Apple policy is?

2. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

In the first 14 days you can return it or get it exchanged anyway.

3. jgo78 macrumors 6502

dead pixels are rare these days. What you should worry about is the 'yellow tinting' issue or color uniformity issues. The yellow tint issue is very common. I have been through 3 imacs and 2 of the 3 had the yellow tint issue.

check this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1155308

4. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Dont tell him that lol. People never notice it before there told.

5. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Every LCD manufactured today has varying tint issues. If you can't see it normally and it doesn't affect your quality of work, it's stupid to go looking for it. If I scoured my iMac up and down, front to back, I am sure I could find something that isn't 100% perfect.

OP, don't worry about it too much.

6. jgo78 macrumors 6502

haha, I don't know how people can't notice it though. All you have to do is read black text on a white background and as your eyes move down the page, it becomes yellower. As soon as I turned on my third imac replacement I immediately noticed the yellowing on the grey start up screen and just shook my head, defective again.

7. jgo78 macrumors 6502

well, ignorance is bliss. I didn't need anyone to tell me though that this was an issue, I just saw it.

8. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Yep and not everyone can see it. Different people, different eyes, different variations from LCD to LCD, etc etc.

9. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

Well still doesnt make it an "issue" or a "known issue/defect". If apple is willing to replace it then thats on them and doesnt concur to it being a defect/issue.

Panels have to meet certain quality standards and some varying of color hue or "tint" is acceptable.

10. lugesm thread starter macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Closing Comment

My new 27" iMac arrived yesterday.

NO DEAD PIXELS. :D

Case closed.

Thanks for your comments.

11. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

congrats, same here. no dead pixels either. screen looks remarkable imo.

12. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

13. Eduardo1971 macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

Ha. Yeah, reading all these "my iMac is defective because..."-posts sure can fuel one's imagination.

PS: No dead pixels on my mid-year iMac and no (apparent) 'yellow' screen (as far a I can see).