Dead Pixels on Purchase?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sunshadow, Jul 18, 2010.

1. sunshadow macrumors member

I just jumped on the Mac train and bought a Macbook Pro 13". There's a dead pixel on the screen. I'm taking it back to the retailer tomorrow. The retailer has a zero dead pixel guarantee on monitors so I'm going to hope that covers laptops too.

I just wanted to know how many others have experienced dead pixels on purchasing a new Macbook Pro - i.e. what's the likelihood that the next one I get will have a dead pixel?

2. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

1 MacBook Pro, 0 Dead Pixels.

Start keeping a tally, some people on here have owned quite a few MBPs.

3. sunshadow thread starter macrumors member

Ok in that case let's just keep it to those purchased within the last year or so :)

I just want to know what my odds are of it happening again.

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

As good as anyone's, probably 1:2. No jokes, but no one here can answer that and be 100% correct. Many people have purchased many Mac computers and have never got a dead pixel.

5. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

6. M77 macrumors newbie

This is something I'd be interested in knowing as well. I may be taking my MBP back for a replacement but how likely is it that it might have dead pixels or some kind of bad tint?

7. FireSokar macrumors regular

First MacBook Air had 0 dead pixels.
    First MacBook Pro had 1 dead pixel Apple care mailed a replacement after requesting to talk to a senior adviser because the first person wouldn't do anything about it. told them I did not pay 1700$ for a product I cant use photo shop on properly. (tell them you are a graphics student) they will give you the same story of how it cant be perfect because itll raise the cost but press the issue and they'll overnight you a replacement but say they can't gurantee.
    Replacement MacBook Pro 0 dead pixels.
    2nd MacBook Pro to replace the MacBook Air is 0 dead pixels.

All these were 2010 models in the last 60 days. So I'm 1:3

8. hobbsy macrumors newbie

Bought a 13" MBP base model last week from Amazon.co.uk

On arrival it had 2 stuck pixels on the left hand side, and a square block of 4 dead pixels on the right.

I sent it back through their returns system on the website and they mailed out a replacement the next day (I'm a Amazon Prime member).

No stuck pixels on the replacement :)

9. creative78 macrumors regular

creative78

I just received an Apple issued replacement for my 2007 SR, 15" i5 and it has zero stuck pixels.

10. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

My MBP has zero dead pixels. I purchased about 3 weeks ago.

11. sunshadow thread starter macrumors member

I got a replacement and it's fine. I have the worst luck w/ dead or stuck pixels. About 2/3 of the things w/ LCD screens I have bought have had them on the first one, and I've had to return it. No problems on the replacement, just took it in, said dead pixel, the guy looked at it and got me a replacement. One more reason I refused to purchase a macbook from the apple store. I'm still keeping watch to make sure one doesn't become stuck.

12. demonsavatar macrumors regular

Checked my new 15" Hi-res closely today, 0 bad pixels. yays!

13. circularforward macrumors 6502

1 Macbook6,1 with 0 dead pixels. 1 Macbook Pro6,2 15 with 0 dead pixels. I was a little relieved each time.

14. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Macbook pro, 3 dead pixles right out of the box, turned into 40-60 dead pixles in less than a year. Applecare replacement screen, brand new, one dead pixel

15. blunderboy macrumors 6502

No dead pixels on this MBP! I haven't had any dead or stuck pixels on any of my computers except for an iBook I had a while back that had one stuck pixel.