Dead Pixels on "repaired" MBP screen through Applecare facility

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by henhowc, Dec 4, 2008.

1. henhowc macrumors regular

So I just recently had my MBP repaired through my Apple Store (sent away to a repair facility) for the following issue:

[​IMG]

The Apple Genius noted that they simply swapped out the screen. They were kind of rushing me at the genius bar to sign the pickup paperwork so I simply checked that the green vertical line was gone. The Leopard default background is not the best in terms of picking out dead pixels.

After I got home from the genius bar and noticed that the new display has two dead/stuck pixels. One on the top left corner and one in the middle of the right hand edge of the screen.

Although its probably not that big of a deal, and wasn't why the screen was brought in the first place I was wondering if anyone had any experience dealing with dead pixels in this particular kind of situation (basically a replacement of just your screen).

2. johngordon macrumors 65816

I've just picked mine up yesterday after having a new logic board, and a new LCD panel.

It looked better, I signed the paperwork, had more of a look, decided I wasn't happy still, took it back, and they spent a couple of hours looking at it again - problem with gradients not looking right, kind of blotchy patches particularly visible on the default background.

They decided it would be fixable with an archive and install, but when I got it home, the screen had a vertical line exactly like in your picture. So now they want to replace the LCD panel again.

That will bring the total cost of (under warranty thank goodness) repairs to £1,200-£1,300.

Does there come a point where you can reasonably expect them to replace, rather than repair the machine?