Dead pixels or dust, or am I just too picky?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by hierobryan, Jan 4, 2008.

1. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

On the right half of my screen there's about 5 white specks...they look dead pixels, but they're not as large as the examples I've seen around the web. I can clearly see them when the screen is black and when the brightness is up. They stay a constant light white color. When the ipod is off, I can shine a light on the screen and see a small smudge and some dust on the LCD, but the dust is not in the "dead pixel" locations.

I picked up this ipod less than two weeks ago and I just want to make sure I'm getting all $400 worth of great Apple product...ya know what i mean?

I want to return it for another. Will Apple even accept it? Or will they say, "Be a man and enjoy the damn touch!" :confused::(

2. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

apples rule is 3 pixels and then you get refunded.

3. dazed macrumors 6502a

send it back.

I only buy from stores with good return policies, my first one had 1 dead pixel so I swapped it out.

With what they are charging you can never be too picky ;)

4. tony Ramirez macrumors member

really? i had one dead pixel and it took them like 10 minutes to find it and they replaced it.
    (well my dad has a friend who worked there ;))

5. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

That does not sound like dead pixels. Perhaps it is dust, but as you would suspect, it's not easy to tell without looking at it. Most dead pixel issues I have seen, on an iPhone or really any screen, tend to be either pure black or black with almost a rainbow like color gradation that quickly fluctuates between colors (mostly greens and blues).

If you really think it is dead pixels, which it could be, I would try gently pressing/massaging the area of concern with your finger covered in something soft like your t-shirt while the device is off and in a place that is at least room temp.

Other than that, nothing wrong with a trip to the apple store for some help if it's close to you.

6. hierobryan thread starter macrumors 6502a

oh, one more thing. should i uninstall (or do a restore) everything i added to my jailbroken touch before i return it? does apple care?

7. godisjustpreten macrumors member

yes. who wouldn't?

If you are not happy, you can go in and request a replacement (a *new* replacement - not their exchange stock). If they give you a difficult time, you must *demand* it.

If someone says "Be a man and enjoy the damn touch!", demand to speak to a manager. Do *not* leave the store without an exchange.

8. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

I have been in way too many Apple stores in my day, and while I have had on a very rare occasion, a salesperson who was tired or not thrilled to go above and beyond as is customary at Apple, I have never heard or seen anything close to the treatment you seem to suggest might occur.

9. hierobryan thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for all the great info. i'll be heading to the apple store in an hour or two.

10. godisjustpreten macrumors member

I'm not suggesting it might occur - I'm telling you my experience. In fact, the manager apologized repeatedly, walked over to the sales stock, and opened a brand new Touch right in front of me.

You don't need to be abusive to the staff - just be confident and know what you want. I explained to them that I will not be leaving with anything less than a brand new sales-stock unit, and they did it. When I eventually went back 2 days later, unhappy with my replacement, I told them I would be leaving the store with a full refund. At first, they told me I'd pay a restocking fee. But when I told them I wouldn't be paying the fee, and I would be getting a full refund (and explained why), they gave me the full refund.

$300 or $400 is a ton of money. Don't walk in there apologizing.

11. hierobryan thread starter macrumors 6502a

so i just got back from the apple store..without a new ipod touch. the so called genius said that he couldn't exchange it because i had installed extra software (installer.app, etc.) i told him i'd just go home, restore the ipod, and return for an exchange. what an ass! he's like, "that software might be the cause of your pixel problem." wtf!? 3rd party software causing dead pixels? ya, ok...:rolleyes:

so now i'm restoring my touch and soon i'll be off to the apple store again.

12. hierobryan thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok, back again...traded my week 47 lennon for a new macy gray week 41 touch. everything looks perfect. it does seem to be a little less bright, but it still looks good.