Dead pixels or what??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Shaunyac, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Shaunyac, Nov 10, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2012

Shaunyac macrumors regular

Shaunyac

Just noticed on my 15" retina macbook pro screen a row of dead pixels maybe? Also, there are a few 'clusters' dotted around the screen, it kind of looks like a scratch but there's absolutely no way it could be :confused:

[​IMG]

Also, the clusters look like they're about 5-6 pixels each, is there any point in going to Apple or will they just blow me off?

Does anyone know what the dead pixel limit is before they'll do anything about it?

[​IMG]

EDIT: Sorry for such large images, I can't work out how to put them into a spoiler or whatever...

Thanks for any help :)

2. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

First picture is definitely not dead pixel. It's how certain applications / OS round the corners of the window ( just check Safari after hiding your Dock and maximizing the browser window - all corners are rounded slightly ).

As for the second picture... those do look like dead pixels.
    Are they "really visible" or did you just find them after intensive hunting?

3. Shaunyac thread starter macrumors regular

Shaunyac

Hey sorry, the first picture it's not the rounded corners, it's the mark just right of it, maybe mistakenly seen as dust.

The dead pixels I noticed when on this website actually, it seems a white background highlights them quite well :(

4. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Then the thingie in the first picture might actually be a scratch... Definitely not dead pixels... Try cleaning the screen. Can you feel it with the tip of your nail? Definitely looks like a scratch on the screen or some dirt...

As for the second... Try checking for those on a completely white background ( not this website... put a solid fill white wallpaper ) and see if they are still there. Again, try cleaning your screen... but those spots might actually be dead pixels if you can still see them after you have cleaned the screen and checked for them on a completely white background ( again, not the website... websites can have graphical artifacts that look weird... as dead pixels ).

5. Dyno-Mike macrumors regular

It could be the same as what has happened to mine. A cluster of pixels had "popped" or "blown" in a few different places. Leaving a crater on the outer coating where they were and you could feel it with your finger.

At least thats what apple told me when they examined it.

I just hope my new screen replacement is free from this.

6. Shaunyac thread starter macrumors regular

Shaunyac

Just checked on a white background definetley still there and there seems to be about 5 'clusters' in total I can see easily on the screen.

The other mark looks like a line of deal pixels tbh, I can't feel anything at all with my nail.

7. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

8. boto macrumors 6502

boto

If I remember correctly, Apple's dead pixel policy for the 15" MBPs are at least 6 black/white dead pixels so you are eligible for a repair. Otherwise, is it noticeable during normal usage?

9. Shaunyac thread starter macrumors regular

Shaunyac

Annoyingly it's quite noticeable now since I can't stop seeing them just knowing they're there.

I'm not gonna rush to check it out but if I'm near my local Apple store soon I'll take it in and ask them about it. Thanks for the help guys!

10. Shaunyac thread starter macrumors regular

Shaunyac

I'm booked into the Apple store on Saturday, under the assumption it won't hurt to have it checked out. I'm going to ask them about the dead pixel clusters I have and was wondering if it's worth mentioning the slight image retention I have also?

I don't want to sound like I'm being really pedantic but for the money I've paid for my mac I'd like to have a near perfect screen and right now I can't not see the flaws anymore, including the strange mark as shown in the image above.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks :)