Dead Pixels...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by picard108, Mar 4, 2011.

1. picard108 macrumors newbie

So I bit the bullet and bought the new 15 inch macbook pro for $1,799. I got it in the mail last night, and was happy as could be. So using it today, i started to notice this dead pixel in the middle of the screen. It was distracting. I hadn't noticed it before.

As I was surfing the web, I then noticed another one in the corner of my screen. However, this one seems to come and go. I keep sing the computer, and I see another one! Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me, but I don't remember seeing these before. And I also think they go away and come back as I keep browsing. I'm almost certain I see these pixels in different spots on the screen, as I keep browsing different sites.

There are probably 3 of them that I can see right now, but some of them go away, or move spots.

Is this normal? Is there like a break in period for the screen? I'm not very hardware literate, so excuse my ignorance.

2. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

not normal but not uncommon..you will have no trouble getting it exchanged with one in the center of the screen

3. colshine macrumors regular

colshine

Search for a dead pixel checker - run through all the tests it will help identify any dead or stuck pixels.

4. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

he already sees dead pixels...whats the point...its a new machine with one in
    the center...easy exchange.

5. picard108 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ouch. This really stinks. I bought a 13inch MBP about a month ago through amazon. Then when they announced the new ones, I sent it back. Got a refund. Then sprung on this. I'm assuming Apple won't let me just walk into a store to exchange even tho it's a day old, because I went through Amazon right?

That would mean sending it back. And going another week + without a laptop. Need this for my college. Bleh.

Lesson learned, use Apple not Amazon Altho Amazon saves me on 10% sales tax which is quite a lot. :(

6. lukta macrumors member

Some pixels are only dead to certain colors, which might be why you see them only occasionally. I have one on my ipod touch that only shows up when it's showing all black. The dead pixel checker would identify for sure all your dead pixels and what colors they are associated with.

7. picard108 thread starter macrumors newbie

I used a pixel test for mac, and there is def like 6 pixels total. Bleh. I wonder if it's worth the hassle.

The fact i paid $1,800 makes me think it is.

8. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

are you near a apple store...they might exchange on the spot...if not go the amazon route...no one should live with SIX dead pixels.

9. picard108 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have an apple store about 1 hour from me. I'll prob just make an appointment at Genius bar. And go in tomorrow with it.

10. syan48306 macrumors 6502a

syan48306

It most definitely is. I got a 13 inch black macbook exchanged on the spot for a brand new one even though I had only two dead pixels.

Actually it was like 1.5 since one was just dimmer than the others and one was dead. They're really understanding.

11. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

good...all the best

12. picard108 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright so heres an update on my situation (sorry for the bump). The closest Apple store is 1 hour and 30 min from me. I'm about to make a genius appointment (they still have openings).

Should I call and tell them my situation, and ask if they would exchange before going down there? I would hate to drive all the way down there and them tell me that it's just ONE pixel in the middle of the screen, so beat it.

The one thing that is troubling me is that I see other pixels around the screen looking funny when I look at the screen from different angles. But those ones aren't dead. There is only ONE dead pixel (It's not 100% center middle, but center towards the top). The others are around the edges of the screen, and just look weird from time to time.

Do you guys think my chances are good to get an exchange? And does it matter if I bought it from Amazon? (It's only a day old).

13. Hitchophilia macrumors member

Hitchophilia

I don't have apple care.

My 2010 macbook pro 17" developed a small lighter spot, only visible on light colours.

Took it to the mac store. Replaced screen, no questions asked.

You should have no problem. I was told any mac 2010 or later with even 1 dead pixel would be replaced/fixed free (just like mine).