Dead Pixels?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Calisi*, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Calisi* macrumors member

Calisi*

My Macbook Pro Retina has about 20 dead pixels.. they seem to be growing. I've had this thing about 3 months.. will Apple replace it?

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

3. Calisi* thread starter macrumors member

Calisi*

I've just got a bunch of stuff on here that I would need to put onto the hard drive beforehand, so if I didn't think there was any chance I wouldn't bother moving it all over. I guess it's worth a try though

4. SGilley macrumors newbie

People will easily help you transfer files over if need be, it's not a good idea to DIY if you don't have some kind of backup device.

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

If you haven't caused physical damage to the computer (cracked screen etc.) then they should definitely replace it for you.

6. chrisrosemusic1 macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

Of course they will replace the screen. You won't get a new computer though as Apple don't exchange the machine after 30 days. They will replace any internals where necessary though.

Definitely book an appointment because I don't have one on mine. I hate dead pixels!

7. Calisi* thread starter macrumors member

Calisi*

I'm going in today so I'll let you know what happens.

I'm going to try and get a replacement.

8. maccuser macrumors member

Are the dead pixels visible from sitting position or do u have to get really close to the unit?

9. Krauser macrumors regular

That shouldn't matter whatsoever. I've had screens replaced on a multitude of Apple products (my 08 MacBook has had its screen replaced twice for dead pixels and I have had my 4S replaced 3 times, twice for multiple dead pixels and once for a screen defect). Many say it's being picky, but for the price of a retina machine, you should expect perfection. If you can look closely at the screen and discern dead pixels, regardless of distance from the screen or what Apple might try to call "sitting position" in their own defense, it's unacceptable.

TL;DR: Don't worry man, Apple will replace the screen. Dead pixels, especially 20 of them, regardless of discern-ability at normal viewing distance, warrants a screen replacement.

10. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Well?????

11. ajanini macrumors member

ajanini

I was unlucky to get a rMPB with an LG display.
    A cluster of dead pixels showed up in the right middle area of my screen.
    Then it started showing IR 4 months after I got it.
    And today, another cluster of dead pixels has appeared. I am quite disappointed.
    I'm in Brazil and I don't think it will be too easy to get it replaced, but I gotta do it now. :(

12. Lolito macrumors 6502

Lolito

these macbook retina really suck big time apparently. my 2009 mbp as zero dead pixels.

13. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

I had one dead pixel in the middle of the display and they've replaced me the display no questioned asked.

14. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

If I recall correctly, for MacBook displays just 3 is enough for an in-warranty replacement (display). 20 is way beyond tolerance! I have zero on mine and I would go nuts if I even had one.

15. aman20177, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  16. Calisi* thread starter macrumors member

Calisi*

Took it into the Apple store and it turns out they were just miniature dents on the screen caused by small bits of dirt on the keyboard, as a result it disconnected the pixel.. something about because the retina is such a high pixel count it's more noticeable than normal. Clearly I need to take extra special care with this one lol

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Small dents :eek:

I need to go home and dust off my MBP. Was the damage permanent and did apple replace/repair your MBP?

18. aman20177, Mar 25, 2013
  19. Calisi* thread starter macrumors member

Calisi*

Yes, they replaced the screen for free (didn't get a replacement) because the damage wasn't on Apple's end, understandably. I've had dirtier laptops that haven't had any screen dents in them so wasn't expecting this retina to be so fragile lol

The problem was dust/sand (something that I never saw or wasn't aware of) on the keyboard, and when I closed the lid it pressed into the screen creating tiny dents. I thought it was dead pixels because I could literally see the white specs on a black screen but the apple guy took a closer look and saw miniature dents in the screen... then I saw it too.

If you wanted to check you need to look at the screen side on with good lighting.

Tbh I'm sick of the Retina, I've had nothing but problems with it (yellow tint screen, mousepad out of sync etc) so I'm getting an iMac and a white macbook to transport. Mmm.. it should be here soon!

So if anyone else has a Retina, clean it ferociously every day before you close it lol

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The retina display is very fragile, in the name of thinness apple has forgone the glass front that its older models had. Still its surprising to see dirt/dust damaging the display panel.

21. StefanYFC macrumors member

Absolutely! I've had my since August. Had 7 dead pixels up until 2 weeks ago, took it in, they order the screen, brought it back 2 days later when the part came in and they fixed it in about 45 minutes.

Now I have 3 dead pixel areas, 2 1x1's and 1 2x2.

I wil wait for a few more to pop up and get it replaced again. I also have Apple Care for the next 2.5 years.

22. aman20177, Mar 26, 2013
  23. chrise2 macrumors 6502

Just having dust dirt on the keyboard wouldn't do anything i would think. However, dust / dirt on the keyboard and packing it tightly in a bag or something where pressure gets applied to it could do it in. I've got schmutz on my screen. Whatever. Its a tool, not a work of art that needs to be preserved. Just don't drop it. :)

24. aman20177, Mar 26, 2013
  25. dreammaker23 macrumors newbie

dreammaker23

Can someone please explain to me, how can you search for Dead Pixels on your rMBP? :cool: